Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Random Workbee Questions

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by kurti, Oct 31, 2019.

1. kurti

kurti New
    Builder

Hi guys,
    this is my first post here, but I'm reading a lot in here lately.

I recently purchased a Workbee CNC with the NVUM v2 Controller and the 2.2kw water cooled spindle and started building it.

I made a small mistake and destroyed a IGBT of the Vfd and got a new Vfd (ordered the IGBTs again to solder in but they take a while to be delivered).

Anyway I have several issues and therefore questions :
    1. I'm facing problems with controlling the Vfd via the NVUM. (I can not recommend this board to anyone). My configuration in Mach3 is exactly the same as in the poor "Documentation" and the VFD is configured correctly since I'm able to control it with a variable power supply. I measured the output of the NVUM and it is permanently 10V. Any suggestions?
    2. To eliminate the lead screw whip I installed the end plates the other way around and therefore the locking nut on the outfacing side. Got this from a YouTube Video. But I seem to have gone a little bit to far and put to much pressure on the Bearings when tensioning the lead screw. I got replacement bearings now, but I would like to apply a little bit more tension on the lead screw. Any suggestions what kind of bearing I could use?
    3. In the long run I would like to tweak some stuff on the Workbee and I would like to plan this quite detailed. I was not able to find the CAD files. Does anyone have a resource for me?
    4. Are you guys applying some sort of lubrication to the v slot wheels?

Thank you for the time and effort.
    Regards

2. Christian James

Christian James Journeyman
    Builder

Q1, I have no idea and lack of replies suggests lack of answers too though someone may know.
    Q2, Yes, I know the video you are referring to and thought the same then as now - you really should use a thrust bearing as well as the roller bearing.
    Q3, There are a number of sketchup files available if that's any good? What particular flavor of machine do you have?
    Q4, I would have thought that the V wheels were sealed bearings, particularly with all that dust flying about. I wouldn't use any lubrication on them myself. (I assume you're not talking about the tyres!)

3. kurti

kurti New
    Builder

1. Alright. I'm right now thinking of switching to a different controller.
    2. I will search around for some bearings.
    3. I have the screw driven Workbee. But I'll take a loom at the sketchup files when I'm home.
    4. I was thinking of basically lubricating the "rails". But now I assume this is not necessary...

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

5. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Use dry silicone spray on the lead screws.

6. kurti

kurti New
    Builder

I don't want to start a new thread for this. I have couple more questions:
    5. The Y Axis seems to be quite noisy. I'm not quite sure if that is a normal thing or if there is anything wrong with it. Do you guys have any suggestion on how to quieten that ?
    6. The Z Axis is not really stable. When moving over the workpiece sevral times it still removes material. Whats wrong ?
    7. Mach3 Question: When I'm homing all Axis sometimes when the Y or X Axis hit ther endstop the Machine goes into emergency mode. I can't really figure out why that is the case. Any advice ?

Thanks !