Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Random CONTROL / Grbl / xPro v4 problems

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Apeli, Dec 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Apeli

Apeli New
    Builder

Don't know if it's an issue with CONTROL, Grbl or my xPro v4, but there's a few problems I've ran into a few times randomly.

- My macbook pro starts complaining that the USB device (aka xPro) draws too much current and shuts off the usb. Happened once after 35 mins, once just when I plugged in. The mac has USB-C and I have to use an adapter to use the USB B-type cord
    - Mainly using the flattening wizard of CONTROL, the software and the machine are not synced. The software thinks the program is over even though the machine is still running. It keeps going with the correct stepover pattern, haven't tried how long...
    - The connection between the software & machine gets reset randomly. Latest happened when I switched the 0.1/1/10/100mm toggle, suddenly no movement from the XYZ buttons. It started to run a program, and after that the buttons worked again.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Grbl has a buffer of about 15 moves. As those are long moves its more apparent than with short sections. Control shows when its done sending. Grbl acknowledges when it recieved a command, it does not report when it executed it

3. Apeli

Apeli New
    Builder

Ok, thanks for the information. I just noticed yesterday that Control's flattening wizard adds a "framing pass" along the Y as the last move. When the machine moved to that, I thought that it went nuts :D

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

1) make sure you have the proper FTDI drivers (not the ones that come with the Mac) for the USB chip on the BlackBox: FTDI Drivers
    2) Check the log when it disconnects, it could help us see why
    3) always possible that its just EMI, space USB cables away from power/motor wiring, use good quality usb cable, try a USB cable with ferrite cores on it

It could be the adapter (official Mac one or a chinesium?)
    Other than that the only thing that could cause usb overcurrent is if you accidentally wired limit switches wrong (compare the docs.openbuilds.com) and accidentally short V+ to GND on the connector, either by wiring mistake or by using the wrong terminals on the switch side

5. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

Does the XPro V4 board has a power supply connected to 12V-24V input terminals?

6. Apeli

Apeli New
    Builder

The first time the "usb eats too much power" happened I had a large usb hub -type adapter connected, which was noticeably warm. Second time I got a smaller/simpler one and I got the error message straight away, but the limit switches were armed when I plugged it in. I had a thought that the limit switch wiring might be the cause. Will look into it.

Jeff - it's now powered via an ATX 12 v power input.