Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Rack & pinion

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by kev20009, May 22, 2019.

1. kev20009

kev20009 New
    Builder

Hi guys looking for advice, got a lot of wheels and bits over from builds, so looking to use them on a plasma cnc, with the new c beam, but ptoblem I got is can only mount rack inside the y and x ganrtys, so I can not use reduction so was hoping to go direct drive,

rack is mod 1, pully is 20 tooth, and I got nema 24 8mm shaft, table is 4ft x gantry and 3ft y gantry,
    any help guys or ideas would be greatfull of thanks guys kev

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Why can't you use reduction? Here are a couple of shots from an R&P concept I worked up a while back. They're not fully complete but sufficient to get the idea. (You'll have to imagine a spring on the bolt at the top, a belt connecting the pulleys, and a pivot point behind the main assembly)

RP1.jpg RP2.jpg

This is all just a morphed version of a belt reduction concept posted long ago.

3. kev20009

kev20009 New
    Builder

thanks rick for reply, I have done 2 types of drawings for reduction, but problems I got is room, the x is 1500 to give me 4ft cut, my nemas are 100mm the reduction comes out at 60mm that's 320mm extra and the room is 1635mm so this is why I was looking at direct if its possible as this is not my good point working out steps and speed, building side of it im ok at,

thanks again rick kev

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

That works out to +-0.04mm resolution with 1/8th microstepping. Thats acceptable for me, decide if it works for you :)

resolution.PNG

5. kev20009

kev20009 New
    Builder

thank you peter, will go direct now I know, going this way will help me a lot, thanks again peter kev