Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Question: Attach CNC directly to metal table

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by CuttingDutchman, Oct 16, 2023.

1. CuttingDutchman

Builder

Hello OpenBuilds forum members. I'm currently designing a CNC machine measuring 2000mm x 1200mm. I've observed the elevated prices of aluminum extrusions and am contemplating affixing my aluminum rails directly to my stainless steel table. Below are some images of the current design:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sadly, I don't have a complete image of the table at the moment. As evident from the pictures, my table has some unique fins. I'm considering mounting the aluminum extrusions to these fins as shown:

[​IMG]

For the Y rails, I plan to attach them to the other rail. Conceptually, this seems like an excellent idea, especially if I can ensure the base rails are level. It appears to be a sturdy and budget-friendly approach. However, I'm seeking advice and opinions on whether this is a viable idea worth pursuing. Thanks in advance for your insights!

2. JakeNull

JakeNull New
    Builder

This is pretty much how mine is mounted to a wooden top and works well.

A couple things I could see being an issue on stainless;
    It looks sturdy but if you get flex once mounted add support underneath. Especially if its not thick across the top surface. The firmer the set-up the better results.

You may get increased noise during use. If the stainless vibrates and reverberates.

If you mount a laser - reflection hazard!

Electrically it's a conductor and it would be reasonable to assume it'll be a ground in one way or another. I don't suspect that would be a problem just be mindful especially during setup.