Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Question about Nema 23 Steppers

Discussion in 'Motors' started by leftyhokum, Sep 1, 2023.

1. leftyhokum

Builder

I've looked through a bunch of posts and haven't seen my question answered sorry if it has been. I have just gotten the BB X32 and am redoing a Grunblau Platform CNC that has NEMA 23 320 oz in low inductance motors. The number on the motor is 57BYG. It had a 48V 12.5A switching power supply. I'm wondering why so big. I have read a bunch of posts and saw that the X32 unit works with Nema 23's. I am starting to wonder if that beefy power supply is to juice up the motors and get more speed.
    Here's a link to a semi-parts list for the machine. https://cncrouterparts2.rssing.com/chan-10558629/article16.html.

#1 leftyhokum, Sep 1, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2023
  2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

BlackBox is strictly 24v! Connecting the 48v PSU will blow it up and not be covered under warranty

Ideally you want motors with 3-6v coils, 1-2mH Inductance and up to 3-4A Max current rating

3. leftyhokum

Builder

Thanks for the reply! I'll have to get back to you but I think they may work. Might be top range but we shall see.

4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

5. leftyhokum

Builder

Everything is working beautifully! I think that power supply was actually powering a different spindle at one point. Everything was a mess and now that all that old wiring and crap is gone and simplified I think we’re at a great starting point to eventually get a water cooled spindle.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.