Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Question about laser tubes and power supplies

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by Steven Hickerson, Mar 12, 2023.

1. Steven Hickerson

Builder

Hello all,
    I'm no expert when it comes to this stuff, I know enough to have built a couple of laser cutters safely. But, I'm in a situation atm where I'm considering upgrading the tube on a cutter I've built and ran into a question that I'm not really sure on the answer to.

I currently have a 50W rated tube, and a "60W" power supply that is pretty overrated for the 50W tube. I put a current limiter in to make sure I didn't exceed the tubes max rated current of 15 mA, even though the psu can output 25 mA.

My question is, now that I'm looking at upgrades, I was thinking I'd have to upgrade my power supply too, but I'm questioning if that is the case. This power supply when I ordered it was listed as a 60 Watt supply, but has a max current of 25 mA, and a max voltage of 24 kV. I'm looking at a 90 - 100 W tube that is listed with a max current of 24 mA and a max triggering voltage of 23 kV. Is there any reason why my current 60 W PSU would not work for this tube? Even if I don't get 100% max power out of the tube, I'd be ok with that cause I'd rather keep the tube under max to prolong it's life. But I wouldn't want to be severely limited as I am looking at a bigger tube to cut thicker material. Based on the numbers it seems like I should be able to get nearly max power out of it even with this 60 W rated PSU, no?

Is there something more than the max voltage and max mA capabilities of the PSU that would prevent it from working with this tube?

Thanks!