Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Question about Blackbox X32 features and sending/receiving commands via USB connection.

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Tulkas, Sep 17, 2023.

1. Tulkas

Tulkas New
    Builder

Hi everyone, I have a question about the Blackbox X32 for a work project. I’m very new new to CNC projects but I do have a good amount of experience with programming languages, like Python for example.

So as far as I know it is possible to send G code/grbl commands to the blackbox using a USB serial connection. I’ve also seen examples where this is done via a Python script.

My question is: Is it also possible to receive some form of feedback from the Blackbox? For example, if I make a stepper motor move, I’d like to know when the command has finished/the motor has finished moving. It would be very useful if I can receive some feedback which I can then let my Python script act upon to perform some other tasks that are not related to the BlackBox. Otherwise I'd have to time things with sleep() commands and guess when a task has completed. Which would of course be quite an inconvenience.

I’ve looked around at some documentation and videos but couldn’t get a clear answer to my question. Hopefully someone can enlighten me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

David the swarfer likes this.
  3. Tulkas

Tulkas New
    Builder

Interesting. Thank you for sharing that. It looks like what I want to do with Grbl should be possible!