Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Python not found when updating firmware

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Bug Report' started by Ynitial, Jan 6, 2023.

1. Ynitial

Ynitial New
    Builder

So I'm not sure where to place this. It might be my system or an actual bug in the software.

I'm using OpenBuildsCONTROL on macOS Ventura 13.0.1 and when I try to update the firmware of my BlackBox X32, I'm getting this error;

env: python: no such file or directory

I'm using the steps in the manual (7.1 BlackBox X32 Firmware Updates) and I actually have python 3.10.4 installed on my system. Which runs fine when I run 'python' in the terminal.

Any ideas?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

MacOS used to include Python (and it just worked) but either the existing install has an issue, or you installed Python seperately - causing an issue with the paths.
    CONTROL launches esptool.py that needs Python executable on the path.

Something like How to add Python to the PATH variable in Mac to fix the PATH variable?
    You can look around online, env: python: No such file or directory when building app with Xcode for example (not tested myself) or ubuntu /usr/bin/env: python: No such file or directory

A Windows machine would be a little easier - no python needed as we can use esptool.exe

3. Ynitial

Ynitial New
    Builder

Thanks Peter. I've found a Windows machine I could use. Newest firmware is running!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.