Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Prusa i3 Bear Upgrade V2

Discussion in '3D printers' started by pek, Feb 8, 2018.

1. pek

pek Veteran
    Builder

I do not recommend to integrate it to Z top. Z top is 0.2mm lower than top of v-slot for tolerances. And depending how you cut the v-slot and/or how you tight them, then you might twist the X axis a bit.

2. pek

pek Veteran
    Builder

GrayUK and Kyo like this.
  3. xequtor

xequtor Journeyman
    Builder

congrats, I was hoping you will win as this is the Bear Upgrade is a great build, I advertised your build also on last Live YouTube stream of CNC Kitchen as I'm admin on his stream (only admins can post links)

and also I feel sorry for you :) with the PowerPack you will have to spend your free time designing and build stuff, I wanted years ago also build a desktop CNC but then 3D printing got better and cheaper.

#213 xequtor, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  4. pek

pek Veteran
    Builder

Attached Files:

kabar03 and Kyo like this.
  5. Michael.M

Michael.M Veteran
    Builder

Congratulations Pek! Now your going to build a Sphinx CNC router right? Haha

Kyo likes this.
  6. pek

pek Veteran
    Builder

Haha I was so many time close to buy everything for a Sphinx build (last time I was in contact with someone that could cut the plates for me) ! I love you design Kyo, simple and efficient!

However, I have some idea in my head that I would like to give a try, something that I never seen here (maybe for a reason :D )

Kyo likes this.
  7. kabar03

kabar03 Well-Known
    Builder

Pek, a feature request if you have some time. Z motor mounts extended from frame to accommodate mgn12 rails? Also, X axis carriage with mgn12 rail mount on rear? I understand this could be a low priority for you. The step files do not import into Solidworks well. Is there an option to export on your end to a more friendly Solidworks file? I could possibly edit the parts myself then. I've not used Fusion 360 to be proficient in it. Thanks for any consideration.

8. pek

pek Veteran
    Builder

This is definitely something I would like to work on it! I just do not want to make it quick and dirty, I like to take my time to develop things. I am currently getting more and more familiar with the X axis end extruder. Next feature will be improved X-ends (based on MK3 R2 design) and improved MK2.5/3 extruder which will also solve this issue : Filament path is not straight through Bondtech wheels · Issue #51 · prusa3d/Original-Prusa-i3

The big next things will be an open source filtered case and a CNC !

kabar03 likes this.
  9. xequtor

xequtor Journeyman
    Builder

@pek
    the Y axis bearings holders, do they have advantage over the U shaped screws from Prusa or just for people who do upgrade and use zip ties?
    I don't know if I should order them or use one you designed

10. pek

pek Veteran
    Builder

I ahve not done any scientific comparison but too me they are better :
    • You have less chance to break the bearing compared to U bolt
    • Better repartition of the forces
    • If you take the time to perfectly align smooth rods, then you can screw them stronger (be careful to not exaggerate as the holes in aluminum carriage have sharp angles)
    • Less slop

11. xequtor

xequtor Journeyman
    Builder

DO NOT order the cut V-Slot from Watterott, very bad cut quality and not precise cut +/- 1mm, now I regret I started with V-Slot and not ordered from Misumi