Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Project Start Point

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Zgoodz89, Jun 8, 2022.

1. Zgoodz89

Zgoodz89 New
    Builder

Good Morning OpenBuild Gurus!!

Looking for you help on solving a simple problem. Sorry my searches was not giving me anything centered around my project, if you can send me to a thread thats answers it my problem that be great :)

Using Fusion 360 for building models
    Lead 1010 CNC
    Open Builds Control for running programing

I would like to rotate my starting point in my project to the top right corner and start the cut from there (piece is to large and sticks out the bottom of the CNC cabinet). I seem to be able to get it to work in Fusion 360 but can not locate the proper controls to make OpenBuild Control to read it the same way. I would also like to use/have to the probe to zero in on the top right hand corner. Please view picture for better description

Thanks for the help & Happy Hump Day

ZAck

Attached Files:

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Ok, so you have set the origin in F360 to be top right.
    For the probing, you can mess around with custom macros or you can just probe Z (the surface of the material) and
    set X and Y using the 'jog till it looks right and SetZero' or the 'jog till it just traps a piece of paper and setzero' methods.
    The latter is what I do for critical jobs and can easily get within 0.1mm and much less if I really care. Having found the edge of the material with the bit (1) it is easy to setZero at that point, then give a command like G0 X-3.175 to move the center of the bit over the edge you just found, then setZero again. Same for X and Y. Make sure you raise Z to clear the material first!

Is finding the actual edge of the material vital? This determines how much effort you put into probing those edges (-:

(1) actually better to use a short metal bar of known size (measure with micrometer) rather than a tool bit for setting X and Y, you never really know where those cutting edges are.
    Use a rod the same diameter as your collet, usually 6mm or 0.25", then the offsets are also easy.
    After doing that you change to the bit and probe Z.

Messing around with custom macros will take all day, by that time you could have cut the job already (-:

3. Zgoodz89

Zgoodz89 New
    Builder

Thanks David for the quick Response!!!

As for zeroing not that critical as u said wasting a day is not worth it, I will go old school!!!

How do I flip the model in Open Builds Control? Even if I zero it nicely in the real world it keeps wanting to work up/Right and I want it to work down/Left

4. David the swarfer

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Well CONTROL just shows what the GCODE is telling us. If its in positive coordinate space, then that's how you have it in your CAM :)

6. David the swarfer

Peering at your screenshot I think you have the origin set incorrectly for what you want to do.
    This is what I get when I set up for a 'long object' with origin at top right corner
    fusion-long-object.jpg

and that results in gocde displaying like this
    upload_2022-6-8_20-52-44.png

Peter Van Der Walt and sharmstr like this.
  7. Zgoodz89

Zgoodz89 New
    Builder

Thanks gents for the responses :)

David, your X/y in fusion looks little different then mine, think that's where I might be having the issue as mine point down/left and yours stay pointing in the Positive direction
    Thanks for the screen shots!!!

Zack

David the swarfer likes this.