Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Project runs upside down and backwards

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Forum Help' started by Joe D, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Joe D

Joe D New
    Builder

I have a Workbee 1510 using a Blackbox and Openbuild Control Software. I also use Vectric Inspire and/or VCarve 10 for my projects. I have been pulling my hair out trying to fix this problem. I made a simple carving "THIS IS A TEST!" using Inspire 10 and saved it using multiple Post Processors (Openbuilds-incg GCODE, GCode, TAP and a few others) but the project ALWAYS runs upside down and backwards. I set work zero (as you can see the X in the lower left corner of the picture) and set the work to be carved at the TOP. No matter what I do, as I tried inverting the Step Pulse and some other stuff, it will al IMG_0077[1].JPG IMG_0077[1].JPG IMG_0077[1].JPG ways head to the bottom of the work and carve backwards, as can also be seen in the pictures.
    Hopefully, there is a simple fix for this, but I have not found it yet.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

OpenBuilds CONTROL > Grbl Settings tab > Look down at Step Direction Invert
    and flip any axis that needs to run the other way
    Refer to gnea/grbl for more info

upload_2020-7-1_22-50-35.png

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Are you also sure you wired the Y axis (forward and back) to the Y outputs, and X (left and right) to the X outputs? If those are flipped your coordinate system will rotate about itself

4. Joe D

Joe D New
    Builder

Thanks Peter. Yes, my X and Y Axis’s are correct. I use the Control Program and all my Axis’s move correctly as + and - and Homes correctly, so I assumed I had the Step Direction correct. If I invert the X and Y then wouldnt the jogging be reversed?

5. Peter Van Der Walt

yes it would...

post the gcode so we can check that too...

6. Joe D

Joe D New
    Builder

Ok, thank you!

7. Joe D

Joe D New
    Builder

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Did you play with the Invert settings in my first reply yet?

9. Joe D

Joe D New
    Builder

Yes, I inverted both the X and Y plus inverted the Homing for both. I Homed the machine then set Work Coordinates and found it still did the same thing. I changed the starting position in VCarve to a different corner pf the work piece but all tis did was cause the machine to look for the material in a different part of the machine.
    Today I am going to change the Y and Y2 plugs around as well as their settings and see if this has any effect.
    Thanks for all the help.

10. Peter Van Der Walt

Flipping Y will change top to bottom. Flipping X will mirror the text (right way round or reversed)
    Your picture still very much looks like X and Y swopped with each other - its rotated 90 deg clockwise, along with what looks like X being inverted) if I compare the screenshots.

1) Make sure your Y2 Slave Jumper is on Y docs:blackbox:jumper-slaveaxis [OpenBuilds Documentation] (not on X by mistake)
    2) Make sure the single X motor (leadscrew axis) is connected to the X output
    3) Make sure the first Y motor (belt drive axes) is on the Y output, the other one on Y2

It won't all that will do is invert the Y axis (just do that in software rather if needed)

11. Joe D

Joe D New
    Builder

Ok, again, thank you for the help Peter. I plan on working with it again today. I know it works as I had it working prior to having to disassemble it all to move (I made the mistake of not saving the settings as I thought the Blackbox would hold them, but I must have changed something else on reassembly) plus changing both the X and Y Axis from leadscrews to belts (I have found that with a machine this size that belt drives are faster and more accurate than leadscrews.) I naturally left the Z Axis as leadscrew.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  12. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

May I suggest that when you do the changes to the Axie do it one at a time and not both at once. That way you'll see which axis is causing the problem, even if both are running wrong, as Peter suggested.

13. Joe D

Joe D New
    Builder

Will do Justintime! Thank you!

14. Peter Van Der Walt

Check in anytime, we're here all day :) if you need help

15. Joe D

Joe D New
    Builder

Generally, when I have a problem I find out it is something quite simple that I overlooked.
    In the pictures, you can see that, using Aspire, I have the XY Datum Position in the top left corner. I generated my toolpath and saved it with Openbuilds GRBL (inches) (*GCODE). As you can see, when I open it in Openbuilds Control, it lines up in the Y Axis negative. Also, if I “run” this as it is, it will run very small, as if it is saved in mm and not inches.
    2D879D50-F8E2-49B2-A9E7-65F074D9EEB0.jpeg FF4B55CC-2406-463A-A670-E207E9FC305C.jpeg 00548058-46CD-48E2-AB5A-BE093ABA20BC.jpeg C1FDBC09-93E0-4EEE-BF20-E8759E69BA8B.jpeg

16. Peter Van Der Walt

Still doesn't explain why its rotated through 90 deg, or is the pictures in your first post incorrect (looks like text is vertical along the right hand side?)

17. Joe D

Joe D New
    Builder

Sorry again Peter. In the 1st Post pictures, the camera was turned 90 degrees. The X in the lower left corner is actually in the upper left the same ad the latest pictures.

18. Peter Van Der Walt

Ahhh! See that's why I keep going on about it. Alright then playing with the Direction switches will sort you out

19. Joe D

Joe D New
    Builder

I can get it to cut the letters properly, but when the job is loaded into Openbuilds Control program it shows that everything is on the Y negative axis. Also, to cut the project properly I have to have my jog controls reversed ( the + goes towards the - and the - goes towards the +)
    A4407786-89A3-42A1-A3B9-7AF57630DF05.jpeg
    E9744AB0-71BE-467E-A2DF-E388E27FEB32.jpeg

20. Peter Van Der Walt

Thats showing you have material origin set as top left in your CAM. The viewer justs zero where the gcode says it is

21. Joe D

Joe D New
    Builder

Maybe if I reverse my motor wires in the Control plug. Instead of (left to right) Red, Blue, Green and Yellow I put them as Yellow, Green, Blue and Red?

22. Peter Van Der Walt

If the text its still reversed, just address it with Grbl settings:

If you are referring to where it sits in the preview, thats on You:

You set the origin as TOP LEFT: So the preview is 100% correct, your job will be off in Y negative
    Added red notes to your picture

2D879D50-F8E2-49B2-A9E7-65F074D9EEB0.jpeg

Which results in exactly the same here: X0Y0 is off at "top left" of your job, and thus the gcode is down toward the Y negative

A4407786-89A3-42A1-A3B9-7AF57630DF05.jpeg

23. Joe D

Joe D New
    Builder

Actually Peter, that is exactly where I set Job X and Y Zero. I did not set it at the bottom left like it shows in the Control program.

24. Peter Van Der Walt

So all good?

CONTROL shows the positive quadrant as a grid, but all that really matters is it shows you where 0,0 is

25. Joe D

Joe D New
    Builder

Thank you for all your help! I finally have it working as it should. I went back and re-did EVERYTHING according to the video on your site. I rewired the motors to be exactly as it shows in the drawing (Red, Blue, Green and Yellow, from left to right except the Y2 axis which is reversed) then cleared everything from the eprom. I used the Controls dropdown menu for Workbee 1510 and set the machine Zero at the bottom left, same as in the video. I also set the work Zero at the bottom left and ran my simple carving. It pays to simply go back to square 1 and start from scratch.
    Thank you all for the videos!
    42F0E73F-6022-4012-9A09-6C6F54DAECE3.jpeg 1C006203-A833-4952-A663-128527E570D8.jpeg

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.