Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Problem with Plasma and relay ON/OF

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Forum Help' started by Felipe Lagos, May 7, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Felipe Lagos

Builder

Hello people, I'm from Chile and I'm new on this very interesting CNC world.
    I have the Blackbox X32 controller to use as a plasma cutter. I have wired the relay to the machine to control it through the Blackbox, but as soon as I turn on the plasma cutter (switch on directly), the torch activates and turns off with the TOOL ON command (as if it were reversed). I tried to reverse the wiring in the connector but the problem is still there.
    Why this situation?
    I have tried with port RELAY1 and with RELAY2, in Normally Open and Normally Closed mode too, but the problem continues.
    The codes that I have generated for the first tests, with simple figures such as squares and circles, contain the commands M3 to start the torch and M5 to turn off the torch correctly, but always when turning on the plasma cutter, the torch is activated.

My machine is this
    Cortadora de Plasma REDBO CUT-60
    And the table is made by myself.
    I have attached the G-Code with which I tried to make my first cut.

Please I hope your understanding and thank you very much in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Please contact the store via Support > New Ticket and we'd be happy to assist

3. Felipe Lagos

Builder

Are you saying that it could be a factory error? to contact the store...

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Not necessarily, but the store will help you check it out. Different team :)

5. Felipe Lagos

Builder

Hi Peter, I received a response from the support team and follow the instructions.
    A little bit of story:
    1) I reversed the pins of relay on the software ($16=1) and the problem still there, torch always on when the plasma is power on.
    2) I tried too to use the Relay2 port, and the same,
    3) I made some modifications on the wire from the plasma (shielded wire) and grounded it, but the same results (not yet shielding and grounding the box that contains the power supply and controller)
    4) Finally, when the plasma torch is power on, I tried to cut a small figure and... THE SOFTWARE SHOWS ME ALERTS FROM HARD LIMITS TRIGGERED!
    Also shows me some lines with strange characters (the logs files attached)

After all this intents, I finally convinced that my problem is the EMI. Even I tried with the controller off, PC off, and the wire from plasma conected to the controller, and guess what... yes, the plasma torch inmediately activated when I turned on the cutter.
    The relays works perfectly because a tried with a lamp as a "machine", and the lights is triggered on and off with no problems.

So, bye bye HF plasma cutter, and welcome blowback plasma cutter :thumbsup:

Attached Files: