Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Probe led lights up but g38.2 does not stop

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Forum Help' started by Alvaro Bermejillo, Apr 12, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Alvaro Bermejillo

Builder

Hi! I have set up a probe myself, using the sig and gnd pins in the blackbox. I have checked that when the circuit closes (gnd connects with sig) the probe led in the blackbox lights up. However, if I send a G38.2 command the minimill goes until the end of the specified length without stopping, even if I close the circuit. I had worked just fine with this configuration some weeks ago, but I changed the blackbox due to some problems and this particular thing no longer works (everything else seems to work perfectly). Any ideas on what could be happening?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Check the Troubleshooting tab while testing the probe by hand (touch clip to plate) and see if Grbl detects the input?

3. Alvaro Bermejillo

Builder

Hi again, I cheked and in the Troubleshooting tab it does not detect the probe. The probe led in the Blackbox does light up though. How is that possible?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Something damaged the input pin on the microcontroller perhaps?
    Rethink of the history, any miswiring/shorts/etc events earlier? Did it work up to a point?

5. Alvaro Bermejillo

Builder

I had a previous blackbox in which it worked fine. In that one the firmware stopped working and I had it replaced. When wiring everything in the new one I did it in the same way but it does not work. The thing is that the probe led in the side of the blackbox is detecting the changes but grbl is not. In this new blackbox it has not worked at all. How do you check the input pin in the microcontroller?

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Now that is interesting, did you ever discover what killed the first BlackBox? As you might now have another damaged board, something is killing them for sure

The LED is just after to the connector, it's indication is decoupled from the firmware/microcontroller, and can be ignored. What counts is does Grbl see the change (troubleshooting tab)
    You cannot check the pin with a multimeter, if its not seeing the signal, then something happened to your board and damaged the microcontroller on a silicon level if its not seeing the change.

Before we assume that is the case, though, lets go over the basics again, as you are not using our probe:

Your DIY probe is setup correctly (pull-up from V+ on signal pin? Clip to SIG, Plate to GND)
    What is your Grbl settings for $6 Probe Invert?

7. Alvaro Bermejillo

Builder

The setup is as indicated in the z probe entry of the blackbox documentation. Just Clip to SIG and Plate to GND. I don't have anything connected to V+. My setting for $6 is 0.

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Worth a shot to add a pull-up resistor then, 10K should do

9. Alvaro Bermejillo

Builder

Same result, led lights up, but in the Troubleshooting tab nothing changes.

10. Peter Van Der Walt

Then you need a new Brains board I'm afraid, speak to http://support.openbuilds.com/support/home and they'll be able to sort that out for you.

Just to double double check, you are connected to the board when you check Troubleshooting, as you mention nothing changes, nothing as in just probe I hope? Does limit switches etc respond?

Thanks for the additional testing, just good to rule out the probe and wiring.

11. Alvaro Bermejillo

Builder

But it is weird, if nothing is wrong, I just changed the Brains and only the probing is missworking. I am afraid that if I change the blackbox the same will happen again.
    Yes, sorry. I cheked with the limit switches and they do respond correctly. The problem is only with the probe. The rest of the system works perfectly

No problem :) Thanks to you for your help!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  12. Peter Van Der Walt

Its unlikely, if nothing broke this one, it may just be one that slipped through QA

13. Alvaro Bermejillo

Builder

Hi Peter,

The new blackbox arrived and now everything works perfectly. I just wanted to thank you for your help. A pleasure to work with your products!

Cheers,

Álvaro

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.