Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Probe Issue

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by Randy, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Randy

Randy Journeyman
    Builder

Hi folks,
    I am having an issue with the probe traveling too far on the y-axis and plunging down on the wire connector jack. It has not broken anything but I can not use it at this point.
    I am not sure how to change the travel amount or if it is possible. I have seen nothing in the Documents regarding this. I centered the bit in the hole just above it as in the video.
    I am using a 1/8th bit.
    I could do it manually I guess but that takes the fun out of using the technology.

Thank you in Advance
    Randy

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Is your steps per mm set accurately? Use the Calibration Wizards under Wizards and tools

3. Randy

Randy Journeyman
    Builder

I will check it. Actually I was going to ask about that also. I started doing that the other day but unlike my 3d printing machines I do not see a button that will set the esteps to where they need to be once I do a 100mm measurement. They are off a little for sure.
    Sorry I am not explaining this properly. I will have to wait a while to run it again, It's still pretty early here and wife gets grumpy if she is woken up to soon. lol
    Randy

4. Randy

Randy Journeyman
    Builder

Ok I figured it out. Not sure what the heck I was doing before. The steps were not off by much but I will put the prob back on and test it again.

5. Randy

Randy Journeyman
    Builder

Ok I think everything is where it should be. Steps are set and the Probe Test worked without issue this time. Sorry to have taken up your time.
    Randy

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  6. Peter Van Der Walt

Always happy to help!

7. Randy

Randy Journeyman
    Builder

I case anyone else has a issue. Home your machine first. Check your Steps and correct if needed and then Set up your Probe. Worked like a charm. funny how one mm can bugger things up.
    Thank you Sir.

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Homing doesnt come into play with Probing but spot on on the rest.

If the steps per mm is off then none of the planned moves will be spot on. I tend to tell people to run a couple jobs using manual zeroing before trying probing. Its better to understand the process before it gets too easy.