Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Probe ‍♂️

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Piotr Kolodziejczak, Dec 28, 2022.

1. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Well, again confusing as there are two places:

VFD parameters yes usually 400Hz
    Grbl Settings - again, don't go randomly changing settings :) - restore to what it was.

2. Piotr Kolodziejczak

Builder

Fyi it was set at 100 sooooo

and yes in the 10v pins
    Not tool….

constantly getting 0.28v and when m3 the goes up to 0.31v
    Thats all :(

3. Peter Van Der Walt

You mentioned earlier:
    So then where were you getting it? Or it was working and since stopped?

Also, make sure you didn't forget to turn on the 24v power? 10v rail is derived from the 24v rail.

4. Piotr Kolodziejczak

Builder

U got me lost lol
    What 24v lol what rail??
    Please explain :(

5. Peter Van Der Walt

6. Piotr Kolodziejczak

Builder

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Just stating as a reminder. One typically (at least you should) turn off power while working on it, only powering up to test to avoid shorts. You report it was working, suddenly later report its nearer 0v - could be that the Power was forgotten off.

Either way, best of luck on further Troubleshooting. I am off on Fri, back in office on Mon. Have a happy New Year's

8. Piotr Kolodziejczak

Builder

Just slept on it
    And it lost the 10v after i downloaded the new firmware as you suggested

9. Piotr Kolodziejczak

Builder

Hey guys….
    Some reason… im not getting 10v form the controller ….
    At all anymore….

It happen after ive downloaded and installed a firmware update….. suggestion from a fella from here , after ive made a post about it
    As i had problems with a probe… now everything works after the update but the 10v output …

As ive mentioned in that post.. ( post about the probe ) motors warent moving same speed/steps… gentlemen here said probably loose coupling…. Wasnt the case… but… but after the update ive noticed they are perfectly aligned.. and running same ….
    Before the update i had motor issues…. Controller was throwing !!! Reds sometimes Y sometimes X sometimes Z every some couple of minutes… so suggestion's were bad wiring … and i was like … there is nooo way… i spent two days wiring those 4 motors… just to be 100% sure … ( and made them nice an pichi lol )
    But then after the update…. Nothing….. quiet…
    Then was running for like 2-3 hrs and still good to go, so now that works…

soo now my problem is that the motors have fixed them selfs the box is working fine but the 0-10v plug … the tool plug turns on the spindle but 8krpm and no control of the spindle…
    and all that happen after update…
    i did measure 10v before the update but only once
    what do i do now? Ideas?

10. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

do a backup of the settings and attach that backup here

11. Peter Van Der Walt

FYI - the "fella" was me, the designer of the BlackBox, the developer of CONTROL and also the guy doing the BlackBox firmware - not that it matters - but just know that the "fella" has some skin in the game and knows what he's answering you. Also see Notable Members | OpenBuilds - in case you were wondering how many other's I've helped just here on the forum, I also answer store support on related questions in the backend :)

So, this would be FALSE. You can even go and track the exact line changed in the firmware update (Bug: Probe queue stuck · Issue #277 · OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-CONTROL - fixing the LF characted bug for G10 commands, cannot magically affect the 0-10v output. No the 10 in G10 is not related to anything 10v, learn more about the G10 command here G Codes

Furthermore, we do test firmware updates and can confirm the 0-10V is still working great on my test bed here, with the same firmware.

Lastly, keep in mind grblHAL as we use it, has a single PWM output - the PWM is fed into an op-amp based PWM to 0-10v converter circuit to generate the 0-10v - so if it was the firmware, every single BlackBox X32 user would have stopped working - 0-10v guys, laser PWM guys, servo pen plotter guys - those are ALL the SAME output from a firmware/microcontroller point of view :)

I second this check, as we know you were changing random parameters (when you were doing this)
    to which I replied
    It is possible some of your advanced Grbl settings are incorrect after playing with them. Defaults should always be trusted first, so do post the Backup so we can review

[EDIT:]

Yip, found one you changed from Default, and didn't restore back to default correctly:

FYI, it should be (and was) 5000 by default, before you changed it to 400, 100 is way too low - so looking forward to that Grbl Settings backup so we can see which others have been changed too

upload_2023-1-2_16-56-50.png
    [/EDIT:]

Again, strong observation bias skewing the troubleshooting, refer AGAIN to the Bug: Probe queue stuck · Issue #277 · OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-CONTROL and see which line of code changed - just the one - and think for a moment that the specific bug, which you can read all about higher in the thread, cannot possibly affect the motors :) - its literally just not how that works! This sort of mindset makes it really hard to help you, as you can be sure if something was slipping, and now settled in a bit - it will come back and get you some other day. Or the slippage was caused be different Grbl Settings (Acceleration/Max Rate you had before the update, I recall you reset all settings too at the time of the update, which may account for this as you then entered different settings after, overcoming the stall under speed condition you had initially:

You are giving the firmware way too much credit here. The FAULT LED is hard wired from the stepper driver chip - you can read all about it in the Stepper driver chip's datasheet (below):
    Firmware has zero control over that, the chip detects faults by itself and shuts down by itself if there any issues. Overcurrent can be caused by incorrect current adjustment, incompatible motors, or short circuits in the wiring. POR is caused by undervoltage. Thermal is overheating

upload_2023-1-2_15-22-3.png

Possible you changed Step Idle delay from our recommended value of $1=255 Grbl v1.1 Configuration · gnea/grbl Wiki hiding the root cause and it may pop again.
    We recommend $1=255 as it Locks the motors in position while idle. During idle is when motors use more current - so possibly showing the symptoms earlier than if you have it set to something else. Locking then in place mainly maintains position - which is important as it can move while unlocked (Z can drop under gravity even). Don't change anything yet, post that backup so we can review it!

I have warned you repeatedly NOT to use the 3.3v Pins for your VFD! You cannot get 10v from the logic signal pins, only the 0-10v port

3.3v is 1/3rd of 10v, and 8krpm is 1/3rd of 24000rpm - theres no coincidences there - BUT the the 3.3v port CAN and likely WILL fry - as the VFD signal pins usually have 24v pullups. I am also the person who would confirm or deny your warranty, so please - last time - take head of my advice and immediately remove this "test" connection of yours.

Provision the BlackBox 0-10v Output as per the docs, using a multimeter first. Once you know it works, only then bring the VFD in, and ONLY wire it as shown.
    If you damage the 3.3v pins on the microcontroller - its over as it usually fries either the complete microcontroller, a bank of pins or worse. Warranty would be denied because you are using the Tool Enable pin for an unintended use case, and have also been warned of the danger. Hopefully this has not already caused damage

So first thing, Grbl Setting backup for a review, and see if something is set incorrectly (hopefully)

Attached Files:

Christian James likes this.
  12. Piotr Kolodziejczak

Builder

can you msg me private… please

13. Peter Van Der Walt

You can obtain a Grbl Settings backup from CONTROL > Connect to your BlackBox > Grbl Settings tab > Backup Settings button on the main toolbar. Post it to a reply in this thread using the Upload a File button for us to review. Thanks

14. Piotr Kolodziejczak

Builder

5min

15. Piotr Kolodziejczak

Builder

hope thats the one

Attached Files:

16. Peter Van Der Walt

No worries, its 2:40AM where I am (GMT+2), about to call it a night. Will check it when I am in the office tomorrow (Florida time 8am, 15:00 in GMT+2)

17. David the swarfer

at first glance
    $30=24000.000 ; Maximum spindle speed, RPM
    means that your Gcode must send
    M3 S24000
    in order to get 10v output

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  18. Peter Van Der Walt

OK so now PWM Spindle Freq is set to 5000 in the backup you provided. (despite earlier confirmation that you set it to 400 and then 100 - so looking at it now, its been changed again)
    This looks like a reset settings - and then basic application of steps per mm, acceleration, etc - nothing wrong here

1) Proceed to connect Multimeter to 0-10v connector as shown in the docs.
    2) Make sure 24v PSU is ON and BlackBox is ON (Confirm BlackBox fan is Blue and spinning)
    3) Use the Tool On Menu in CONTROL to send Tool On > Variable Speed Spindle On > Spindle On 100%

upload_2023-1-3_15-12-35.png

(Your's will have different S values, as you have $30=24000 - that is fine, irrelevant as we want the 100% setting)

• Measure the output of the 0-10v output and report back (Should be +-10v)
    • Also measure the output of the PWM output (Should be +-3.3v)

The above test is to tell us a) if the PWM is still being generated (as earlier random wiring attempts could have caused damage). The output of the PWM signal is fed into the PWM to 0-10v converter so that is our first quick check. If we have PWM out - we should have 10v out too (unless the 0-10v circuit was damaged)

NOTE: PWM and 0-10v connectors. Not the Tool Enable connector (that you eronously refer to as the Toolhead connector)
    The Toolhead connector was a 4-pin connector on the older BlackBox 4X and its NOT the same

19. Piotr Kolodziejczak

Builder

current settings...
    and no 10v or 3.3v anywhere

Attached Files:

20. Peter Van Der Walt

That is sad news, the afore mentioned warnings that hooking up the 3.3v pins to the VFD will lead to damage, seems to have taken its toll then. So sorry.
    With damaged MCU ports, it cannot generate the PWM signal, which leaves nothing to feed into the 0-10v converter

21. Piotr Kolodziejczak

Builder

Can it be replaced,?

22. Peter Van Der Walt

That's up to you and your electronics skillset. Otherwise you'd have to get a new BlackBox. Or just turn the VFD on manually using its front panel

23. Piotr Kolodziejczak

Builder

Can i get one shipped?
    I want to order the interface too… so maybe then?

24. Peter Van Der Walt

Yes, you can place an order on BlackBox Motion Control System X32 - during checkout it will help you set up shipping details
    Remember to apply firmware update when you get it: docs:blackbox-x32:firmware [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    Before hooking up ANY wiring to it:
    - install a machine profile from CONTROL
    - test the 0-10v section using a Multimeter as shown in the docs (so you know it was working before continuing)

You can add the Interface to your cart and check out both items together yes: INTERFACE CNC Touch
    (when you get the Interface, read the docs first, you do need to do a Firmware Update and install a Jumper before using it with the X32): docs:interface:firmware-update-control [OpenBuilds Documentation] and docs:interface:retrofit-x32 [OpenBuilds Documentation] respectively.

25. Piotr Kolodziejczak

Builder

Can you show me a picture of what i would need to replace in order for the 10v to work again?

26. Peter Van Der Walt

We cannot, as damage might be spread across multiple components. Also, that level of support is sadly out of scope for us.
    If the issue due to a fault in manufacturing and was purchased within the last year, we will replace it at no cost to you. If the problem was caused through other means, the resolution would be to purchase new units. Replacement is the path and not repairing.

27. Piotr Kolodziejczak

Builder

Is it possible to fry the box by turning the motors when they are plugged it to the box but the box is off…?????
    I was adjusting the machine and had to move the machine and i used the drill to turn the ballscrew…. and now there is a short on the box as the power supply shuts off when box its plugged in … :(

28. Piotr Kolodziejczak

Builder

Ugh.. just ordered a new one ‍♂️

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  29. David the swarfer

not just possible, but certain if you use the drill.
    the faster the motors go the more voltage they produce.
    Rather jog to where you are close enough to do a couple of finger turns, low low low speed.

30. Peter Van Der Walt

Yes! They act as generators. Particularly if you used a drill, it would generate upwards of probably 50-100v backfeeding the drivers and in turn rest of the board. Always unplug motors when turning (by hand, even slowly)

Alex Chambers likes this.