Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Preventing sleep for long running carve on mac

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Joseph Wieber, May 28, 2022.

1. Joseph Wieber

Builder

Hi All,
    I'm using openbuilds control for a long running relief carving that I left running over night (I have fire and video surveillance). When I checked on it in the morning the router was running but no commands were being sent. After investigation I saw that the com port was closed and I was not able to reconnect to the cnc. I suspect the cause was my mac going to sleep. I disabled sleep and power nap, but it still slept. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm wondering if the command line tool "caffeinate", or the app "amphetamine" could prevent this. Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Cheers,
    Joey

#1 Joseph Wieber, May 28, 2022
    Last edited: May 28, 2022
  2. Ehask71

Ehask71 New
    Builder

System Preferences-> Battery(laptop)/Energy saver(desktop) then uncheck prevent your Mac from auto sleeping when display is off

If it's a laptop select power adapter on the left

Hope that helps

Attached Files:

3. nls

nls New
    Builder

I use the app caffeine for this.
    Caffeine is a tiny program that puts an icon in the right side of your menu bar. Click it to prevent your Mac from automatically going to sleep, dimming the screen or starting screen savers.​
    Caffeine - IntelliScape Solutions

Joseph Wieber and sharmstr like this.