Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Power supply shuts down 24v output when connect to controller

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by timbopoise, Jul 13, 2024.

1. timbopoise

Builder

I am experiencing the situation similar to another post regarding no response, no movement etc.
    After reading the post it was suggested that since the fan was not on when powered it could be a power supply issue, so I set out to measure the PS input (24v) and trace back. What I found out was that with the 24v connector NOT connected to the BlackBox (BB), the PS outputs 24v. However, as soon as I connect it to the BB it drops to near zero. So the PS appears to be responding to a short. I verified that my wires (black - gnd and white - 24v) were good at both ends.

I measured the impedance (yes a meter won't measure impedance) on the Blackbox 24v input pins and they appear be shorted.

What do you suggest I do that is constructive and will help lead to confirm possible issue with the BB or to a resolution. I don't have a load I can use to test the PS 24v output.

I appreciate the help I've gotten from this forum and OpenBuilds. I'm anxious to seem movement in my project.

Thx

Blackbox X32 controller,
    LRS-350-24 power supply purchased on Amazon before I realized OB had same.
    Powercase kit
    Nema 23 motors
    Ubuntu computer

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Contact the store for assistance. Thanks: Support.openbuilds.com > New ticket
    Include info they will request to speed up their response:
    Include pictures, they'd like to see its a genuine to avoid the possibility that a bad PSU caused damage
    Also include pictures of how the PSU is wires (wiring it with incorrect polarity will cause damage that show up as a short - if that was the case, best to disclose, always easier to formulate a way forward based on what happened - mistakes are human - rather than trying to work out what the issue would be (Power input is factory tested, so its unlikely to be a factory fault, the focus of the store will likely have to be on why its shorted now. Attached wiring with shorts (test with just BlackBox) or earlier damaged etc. Saves some time for you if we can get those replies into the ticket when you log it :)