Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Power Supply for NEMA 23

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Prabu Arumugam, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Prabu Arumugam

Builder

Please suggest the best power supply for the NEMA 23 stepper motor available in NEMA 23 Stepper Motor. Currently what I have is a 24V adapter with 3.75A max (it was a universal power adapter for notebook laptops with replaceable tips), but looks like I need to have 48V with 2.8A. I don't see any power supply listed for sale in openbuildspartstore.com (other than IOT power relay strip) and the ones I find at Amazon are products specific (like laptops, routers, IP phones, etc.). There's none at Adafruit website as well. Would love to know what you all are using.

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Prabu Arumugam likes this.
  3. Prabu Arumugam

Builder

Thank you, but looks like this one is meant for larger builds with multiple NEMA 23 motors. Also, it is a bit pricey for my build. Mine is a C-BEAM linear actuator with only one NEMA 23 motor. I'm planning to drive it from a mobile app via Bluetooth from an Adafruit 32u4 Bluefruit board which is compatible with Arduino. Do you have any other power adapter suitable for 1 x NEMA 23 motor. Would also like to know whether I really need a cooling fan for the power supply that drives 1 motor.

4. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

There's only two power supplies in the the store. The 24v and a 12v. Electronics - Power Supplies - OpenBuilds Part Store

"but looks like I need to have 48V with 2.8A" No, the motor you linked to can work with 12v to 48v.

I cant answer your fan question. I've only used power supplies that had a fan in them with my stepper motors. I have a feeling that it should be fine, but that's not a real answer. Sorry.

Perhaps someone smarter than me can/will chime in.

5. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

What are you using for the stepper driver?

6. Prabu Arumugam

Builder

7. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Probably wouldn't hurt to try the 24V power supply you have. If it doesn't do the job, there are plenty of inexpensive 5A switching power supplies in the 24-36V range on amazon.

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

We offer 24V Meanwell Power Supply Bundle as the recommended solution. Sure, it's a little overkill, but you cannot go wrong with it.
    As thats all we stock, if it doesnt fit your budget, you'd have to go third party.

How many amps do you really need?

The motors current ratings are done at the coil voltage (As stepper drivers are constant current switchmode choppers, they dont also output 24v when you power them off 24v. They lower the voltage, to attain the correct constant current) : ie 3A at the much lower Coil voltage of 3.6v. (Which can be calculated from the coil resistance and amperage rating on the datasheet, V=IR (Ohms Law)). So with the lower voltage in the current calculation, you'll see whether you are withing the limits of the PSU you selected

From our NEMA23 High Torque motor's Datasheet as an example:
    Ohms law says V=I*R:

R=1.2ohm (From datasheet)
    I=3.0A (From datasheet)
    V=3.6v (Calculated)

Ohms law also says W=V*A
    3.6v * 3.0A = 10.8 watt. (Calculated) per coil x 2 coils = 21.6w per motor + 25% overhead for Peak draw = 27w per motor

The stepper drivers are not 100% efficient either, so lets add 20-30% for it too (the VM voltage powers its internal circuitry, some losses in the switching mosfets burned off as heat, etc etc) - lets call it 35w per motor...

35w @24v = +-1.5A

Prabu Arumugam and Rick 2.0 like this.
  9. Prabu Arumugam

Builder

Thanks for the details and formulas! That's very helpful for novices like me! Received the DM542T from Amazon yesterday and had a chance to play with it today. Overall, the linear rail assembly works good now with Arduino 101 and DM542T driver board with my 24V universal power supply mentioned above. The motor is surprisingly less noisy and smooth, but there's a tick sound when it goes right-to-left (towards the motor) as shown in the video. There's no tick sound in the opposite direction (left-to-right). Could be because of the attachment between motor, flexible coupling and lead screw (especially the alignment between the flat portion of the shaft and flexible coupling). Need to double check that part of the assembly once more. My test code is based on the sample code from here: How To Control Stepper Motor with A4988 Driver and Arduino

10. Peter Van Der Walt

Yip, sounds like something loose to me. Check Stop Collars, Leadnut and Couplers

11. P01

P01 New
    Builder

Hi, this topic captured my attention because I would like to use a 24V universal power adapter for notebook to power my build.

Is there something I should be aware of if I use this type of power supply instead of typical MeanWell power supply used in CNC? Negative performance impact compared to a MeanWell supply or possible supply damage?

My belt driven linear actuator consists of one Nema 17 motor, 1.5m C-beam, DQ542MA, GRBL+arduino nano and rotary encoder+teensy 3.2.
    This build is part of a research project and unlike a typical CNC, the movements usually reach 60000mm/min with accelerations 6000mm/s2. The load is similar to the weight of a tablet. It works very well and the accuracy is around 0.2mm, which is more than enough for what I need.

Would a 24V (2A) universal power adapter work Ok?

Thank you for any advice.

12. Peter Van Der Walt

2A PSU is close, typically you try not to run a PSU near full load (things warm up, lifetimes shorten) - any chance you can get your hands on a 19v 5A instead? :)

As long as its a good quality one (avoid the ones that feel like they may be half-empty and have something shaking inside) you should be OK

P01 likes this.
  13. P01

P01 New
    Builder

Thank you for the fast reply. I can get 24V 5A.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  14. P01

P01 New
    Builder

I’ve just realized, where do I connect the shield of the shielded cables (limit switch cable, stepper cable, rotary encoder cable)?

I will have a floating power adapter such as GST120A24-P1M .
    The power adapter is only for powering the DQ542MA and NEMA17.

The arduino + teensy + rotary encoder are powered from the USB port.
    This way I have two totally isolated circuits.

Connecting the cable shields to the USB ground is not possible as it could be connected to a battery powered notebook.

I can think of two options:
    1. Join the shields of all cables and connect it to the negative pole of the 24V floating power adapter.
    2. Connect the shields to one extra wire running from the “ground” of the wall socket.

Option 1 is more elegant as there is no extra cable running from the wall socket, but I am not sure if it would work properly.

Note: I do not use cable's shield for return path, it is used only for shielding.