Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

post processor setting for duet board ..help

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Darren Jones, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Darren Jones

Builder

hi to all the fellow cnc builders, ive built a 1500x1500mm workbee for a friend that has his own business..we are taking first cuts and have noticed that when cutting circles they are not completely round, there isnt any "play" in the belts so i think it may be a possible post processor issue as there is no set selection in my version of aspire for the workbee..ive tried a few different selections in the post processor selection list but no change..i cant find any info on this online due to the duet control board been new, can anybody advise me, many thanks.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Check for flex in the rails themselves? That is quite a long span, can deflect: See How to calculate V-Slot® deflection
    Post pictures of the circles, maybe we'd spot something?
    You can also upload the GCODE to look over?
    (Duet guys will be along soon to confirm which post processor to use)

3. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

According to the ooznest site

"For all Vectric Products use GRBL (mm) (*.g-code)"

Sorry for the obvious question, but have you calibrated your steps?

4. Darren Jones

Builder

hi peter, thank you for replying..i dont think its the g-code itself as no errors are returned via the web control of the duet board..hopefully the pictures im trying to upload will appear..

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Darren Jones

Builder

i cant get images to appear for some reason, need to find out why..

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Pictures copied from facebook URL wont work. Use the UPLOAD a FILE button below the text box when you reply

7. Darren Jones

Builder

hopefully this works, cheers peter

Attached Files:

8. Darren Jones

Builder

success...from the pictures you can see the circle should have been a perfect circle and the j shouldnt have the little overcuts..

9. Peter Van Der Walt

That looks a pulley/shaft coupler that is loose on the motor. Make sure theres a setscrew on the flat of the motor, and tightened. A drop of locktite (the non permanent kind) between pulley and shaft also doesnt hurt

sharmstr likes this.
  10. Darren Jones

Builder

i initially thought exactly that so i removed all the pulleys and all are tight..

11. Peter Van Der Walt

Definitely mechanical in nature :)
    With the motors locked, give things a wiggle and see what moves that shouldnt

12. Darren Jones

Builder

the only thing i have found is when the power to the steppers is on the stepper on the left y-axis rail is solid,no movement(as it should be)but the right side stepper y-axis rail you can move fairly easy 10-15mm, ive checked the belt tension and pulley tightness and found no error..when running a programme the y-axis moves fine its just this free movement on the right side when idle doesnt seem right, it should be the same as the left side, hope that makes sense.

13. Darren Jones

Builder

is there any way of checking the current(per phase) settings on the duet board for each stepper, i can only think that the right side current setting might be low.

14. Peter Van Der Walt

15. Darren Jones

Builder

i believe i might of found a possible answer to my problem, the post processor selection i used was GRBL.mm which is correct..but i didnt upload the latest firmware for the duet board as i assumed it would have been shipped with the latest version..i will check tomorrow ..thank you for your help peter/sharmstr..youve given me a direction to go..

Alex Chambers likes this.
  16. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

You are welcome, though I'm willing to bet a beer that's not your problem. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  17. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Hi Darren, you can alter the current settings for the Duet, but Ooznest preconfigure the firmware to set the current at 2.4A (the maximum the drivers can handle. Have you checked your wiring to the suspect stepper? - there have been problems with dodgy crimp connectors. As a start could you copy the contents of your config.g file, save it as a txt file and post it here.
    Be careful about upgrading firmware - which version are you using? There have been changes over the last few months that can cause all kinds of confusion, as @sharmstr said that is almost certainly not your problem.
    Alex.

#17 Alex Chambers, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    sharmstr likes this.
  18. Darren Jones

Builder

hi alex, i cant get near the machine till tomorrow but i will upload the config.g file..im also going to swap the y-axis motor connectors over on the duet board to see if the problem moves over to the other motor(connector/wiring issue or software)if the issue stays on the right side then it could be connector/wiring or motor..i also in error havent calibrated the duet board so lots to try tomorrow..ill post my findings.

19. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Be careful with the connectors on the Duet board - they can be delicate. I want to see your config.g file to check the settings are as they should be. Also, as @Peter Van Der Walt said, your g-code might give us a clue. Dont upgrade your firmware yet - earlier versions work fine and some of the latest changes mean changing the settings for limit switches - let me know what version you are running and don't on any account try the beta release for WorkBee-Firmware-v1.0.7-beta-2 until we have fixed your current problems and you have read and understand Duet Controller/Fusion 360 post fix
    Alex.
    PS if you only swap the connectors at the Duet end your Y axis will be in reverse as your machine is belt driven. If I remember correctly the first two M569 commands are the Y drivers for the belt drive workbee and you would need to change the S0/S1 over. If you try it without doing that have the Y axis in the middle of the machine so that it can move in either direction without mishap.

; Drives
    M569 P0 S0 ; Drive 0 goes forwards
    M569 P1 S1 ; Drive 1 goes forwards
    M569 P2 S0 ; Drive 2 goes forwards
    M569 P3 S0 ; Drive 3 goes forwards

JUST CHECKED - DRIVES 1 & 3 ARE THE Y AXIS

#19 Alex Chambers, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    sharmstr and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  20. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

@Darren Jones Your issue isn't related to the post processor, as using the GRBL one is correct. (Vectric are soon to be adding a dedicated Duet one).

"the only thing i have found is when the power to the steppers is on the stepper on the left y-axis rail is solid,no movement(as it should be)but the right side stepper y-axis rail you can move fairly easy 10-15mm, ive checked the belt tension and pulley tightness and found no error..when running a programme the y-axis moves fine its just this free movement on the right side when idle doesnt seem right, it should be the same as the left side, hope that makes sense."

It sounds like that motor which you can move 10-15mm isn't get power. Can you unplug the other motor and the try and move the Y-Axis? The Y-Axis should be able to move from just one motor. If it doesn't move in the test, we know this motor isn't get power.

(PS. I only check here once a day, if you want quicker customer support please email [email protected])

Ryan

Alex Chambers likes this.