Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Port Disconnect

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Forum Help' started by tkbriggs, Apr 20, 2019.

1. tkbriggs

tkbriggs New
    Builder

I've been having this issue off and on lately...

In the middle of a job, the port is dissconnecting and therefore the cutting job stops. It reads the following on the g code editor:

[disconnect] PORT INFO: Port closed

I flashed the software, turned off the limit switches in Grbl settings and that seemed to work for a few days. Now its having the same problem and I repeated that process and nothing... I've also turned the switches back on and off, changed the main usb cord, reset the control board / computer, updated OpenBuilds Control, used a different computer and repeated the steps above.. Tried most things now and about to start chasing wires to check all connections...

Any help / ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

2. sharmstr

sharmstr Master
    Moderator Builder

Does your computer have any power saving feature for the usb ports enabled?

3. tkbriggs

tkbriggs New
    Builder

Everything is set to 2+ hrs for the computer settings, the port gets drop at random intervals.

4. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Well-Known
    Builder

Disable all power saving features. Go to Windows Settings, Power and Sleep, Additional Power Settings, Change Plan Settings, Change Advanced Power Settings, USB Settings, and change USB Selective Suspend Setting to Disabled

Peter Van Der Walt and sharmstr like this.
  5. tkbriggs

tkbriggs New
    Builder

Tried this on windows, still have the same issue... I chased / re-did all the wiring connections and switched to the macbook to run openbuilds control... still has the same issue. Just did the PRAM and SMC reset for the macbook, will see if this solves anything.
    Thanks for the help.

6. tkbriggs

tkbriggs New
    Builder

Still having the port disconnect.

7. sharmstr

sharmstr Master
    Moderator Builder

That sucks. Im sure when everyone is back online tomorrow, someone smarter than me will have a suggestion.

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Project Maker Builder

Most likely reason: EMI
    - Make sure you route USB far from any power/motor wires
    - Use quality USB cables with Ferrite Filters (Or buy some clip on ferrite cores and clip onto USB cable
    - If its a PC use the back USB ports - front ports are more susceptible to EMI due to the unshielded extensions inside the PC case sometimes used
    - Take a look at the environment where you run the machine and look for sources of electromagnetic radiation that could affect the stability of the USB connection
    - Sometimes adding a powered USB Hub between the computer and a device helps eliminate some EMI as well