Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Plasma trigger reversed??

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Kid Chaos, Feb 23, 2024.

1. Kid Chaos

Kid Chaos New
    Builder

I recently built a plasma table based on the JD's garage plans. I am controlling the machine with an arduino uno. Everything is operational and ready to go except the plasma trigger relay. It works exactly how you would expect except the trigger is backwards through the arduino. The controller is activating the relay as soon as it connects.
    Is there a way to invert this control that I am missing? I understand there is a normally open and normally closed circuit on the relay, that is not the issue. It is triggered opposite of when it should be.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Which relay module? Plenty of the cheapies only have Active Low inputs (replace with one that accepts Active High signals).

Some of the slightly better ones has jumpers you can set
    images (1).jpeg

3. Kid Chaos

Kid Chaos New
    Builder

This was my problem. I was just using an old relay I had purchased and never used years ago and didn't realize the ones they used in the plans had the high/low option.
    Now I just need to figure out why my z axis is going crazy and I'll be all set. The probe switch goes on and off randomly when I look in the troubleshooting section of the GRBL controller. At first I thought the wiring was causing the issue but after rewiring and re routing multiple times it seems almost random. when I test continuity on the switch it seems ok but if I disconnect the switch the issue evaporates. Maybe a bad switch? Ever seen this issue?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

5. Kid Chaos

Kid Chaos New
    Builder

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Well,

Is part of the issue

A proper controller like a docs:blackbox-x32:layout [OpenBuilds Documentation] has an entire filter stage between the terminals and the microcontroller (Dual RC network with optocoupler) to cut out EMI

7. Kid Chaos

Kid Chaos New
    Builder

Since I already had all the necessary components on hand to build this machine from previous CNC adventures I will be using what I already have. I will keep the blackbox products in mind for future use as they seem like an easy and affordable solution.
    FOr now, I isolated the pins with an optocoupler relay and that seems to have done the trick.

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Relay contacts bounce when closing, so you may see some switch bounce / inaccuracy on probing. Probably fine for touchoff, doesn't need the precision, but keep in mind if contact bounce cause issues

Kid Chaos likes this.
  9. Kid Chaos

Kid Chaos New
    Builder

Seems to be working. The controller sends like it is only looking for the signal while executing the probing routine so i should be in luck for now.