Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Plasma Torch intermittently does not turn off after a cut

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by Adam3109, Apr 11, 2024.

1. Adam3109

Adam3109 New
    Builder

Occasionally the plasma torch does not turn off between cuts despite gCode having the correct M5 command line. this is an intermittent problem. Has anyone else experienced this and how did you overcome it? Is there a way to put a delay in to allow the torch to turnoff prior to moving?

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

maybe the relay is sticking closed?

3. Adam3109

Adam3109 New
    Builder

Hi David - I swapped the relay out for a new one and then the problem got worse! I reviewed the settings on the plasma cutter and switched from 4T to 2T and now the torch turns off correctly between cuts. I still have an issue where the torch does not always turn on again when it moves to a new cut position - do I need to increase the delay for torch on currently I have P1.6?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

4T is usually for foot pedals. Tap switch to start arc. Tap again to turn it off. 2T is the right one (on while contact is switched, off when contact breaks. For hand torch and machine use)

Does the tool enable LED light up but not the torch? Then either its not a correct type of Plasma (Blowback) or the consumables needs a change out . HF (alternative to Blowback) is way too unreliable, arc rarely starts unless material is super clean, pierce height just right etc.

David the swarfer likes this.