Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Plasma Pierce to Cut Height - Feedrate

Discussion in 'CAM' started by MattWills, Mar 12, 2022.

1. MattWills

MattWills New
    Builder

Hi all,

Getting up and going with my first OpenBuilds setup. A few small hiccups but have had so much fun. The only issue I'm currently fighting is controlling the Z-axis feed rate (plunge, I believe) when the plasma head is changing from pierce height to cut height. I can see in the G-code where it's commanding F50 during this step. It's causing the torch to fire, then an really long delay with the arc on while it descends to cut height. I can manually change it and get the speed I want, but obviously, that's pretty tedious to do every job.

This has to be a setting in the OpenBuilds CAM software somewhere, I'm sure? I just can't seem to find where to change it.

Apologies if this is in an FAQ somewhere, haha. I did try searching and didn't find anything.

Thanks!

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

See Pierce Delay field. It pauses in place (G4 P??) to complete the pierce for however long Pierce Delay is set to

3. MattWills

MattWills New
    Builder

I have the pierce delay at 0.6 sec per HyperTherm's recommendation, but it seems to take much longer than that for the Z to travel down after the arc fires - or am I just overthinking it?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Post a gcode file and we'd be happy to check