Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Plasma intermittently turning off

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Forum Help' started by Rhyja, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Rhyja

Rhyja New
    Builder

Hi hopefully someone has an idea that might be going on. I am running a plasma with my blackbox control, the code is written with the open build CAM Gcode creator. My problem is i first noticed that my cuts were ending early and now all of a sudden the torch just turns off while its cutting however the machine is still running through the tool path. I never change any setting or setup, i did a few large monograms and signs, now it wont do a 25 x 25 mm square with 2 small holes it. The attached video explains whats going on i also. i tried to video the code and the torch at the same time

The only thing that has changed from what i see is that the power supply fan is no longer working. so i'm not sure if that if the problem because things run fine and just stop. any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Power supply fan is temperature controlled

Extinguishing arc usually accompanies worn out consumables. Regularly replace the torch consumables, and make sure your water traps are working (dry air a must, too much moisture kills consumables quickly)

Other possible causes:
    - Weather warming up right? Exceeding duty cycle of the plasma inverter it may shut itself off to cool down
    - Incorrect pierce height / cut height
    - If its an HF Arc inverter the two little spark gap pins inside may need adjustment

3. Rhyja

Rhyja New
    Builder

Thank you I will replace them

4. Todd Pace

Todd Pace New
    Builder

peter i have the opposite issue, the torch probes, makes the first cut, but doesn't turn off between separate cuts. any suggestions

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Need additional info. What CAM? Sample gcode file? Does tool on/off menu work? Is it a Blowback/LF plasma or a HF (EMI preventing proper functioning)

6. Todd Pace

Todd Pace New
    Builder

using open builds/fusion360 cam, run through open build control, to black box 32. plasma is cut master 52 with a floating head sensor on z axis. I home the machine then set torch to work zero. torch moves to first cut position, probes appriately, pierces then makes its first cut. I expected torch to shut off after completing first cut but doesn't. it does retract, some while traveling to cut #2 but torch doesn't turn off. at second cut point it probes again with torch burning then make the second cut. is the retraction of the torch after each cut what breaks the arc and turn off the torch? I'll make a new pass and get some code to look at.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Don't forget to post

No, the M5 in the GCODE should

Which is why we asked