Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Plasma cutting single line arc shape issues

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by digitizer101, Jan 14, 2023.

1. digitizer101

Builder

In openbuilds CAM I open a file DXF or SVG with a single line drawing and try to add a Vector (no path offset) because I get a note stating

"This toolpath contains 1 open vector(s), and 0 closed vector(s)
    NB: You cannot use Offset operations on Open Vectors, you can try to use "No Offset" operations, or repair the file first"

If the single line is an "L" shape it cuts a triangle and if a "U: shape it cuts the whole tab out. It always tries to return to the beginning of the cut from the end in a straight line and just continues to cut.

I have tried a number of things within InkScape to correct the path such as Object to Path and Save as DXF R14. None of this has helped.

I end up adding a second "L" shape next to the current one and connecting the top and bottom with join selected nodes, in a sense making a closed vector. Only issue is it just causes the plasma cutter to cut the path twice and creating a bit of a mess.

If there is a method to cut a single curved or non straight line I would love some advice.

Thanks
    Doug

2. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. digitizer101

Builder

-------------
    So I think what you are saying is to go ahead and create the closed line that OB CAM is adding in anyways and try to locate in the G-Code and remove it there?

I am not sure that I am that good with G-Code to locate the end of each single line in a standard cut option. This was the file I had intended to cut but had to stop because it kept cutting out sections I purposely left gaps so as not to have the metal detach.

upload_2023-1-14_15-0-37.png

In the end, if I would have completed, it would have looked more like this. The red lines all being cut as well as the black lines.

upload_2023-1-14_15-3-47.png

Making the end piece useless with out welding it all back together (I only say that because well that is what I did on the last job!)

Is there a better CAM option out there for open vectors?

Thanks
    Doug

4. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Ah, that's a lot of lines to remove. Easy if you have real-time simulation with it open in a control that allows you to edit in place (eg. bCNC), but tricky if not.

Try Fusion 360 Hobby Edition or whatever they're calling it these days. I've generated open pen/laser vectors with it just fine. You just lose the rapids with the free version.

5. digitizer101

Builder

Thanks Rob I will take a look at Fusion 360. I have used it for CNC router in the past.

6. digitizer101

Builder

I didn't have time to download, install and retrain myself on Fusion 360 this quick job, so I cheated and just did a double line on all of the open vectors and did a join nodes on the end of each to create closed vectors. This just means it ran over all of those lines twice with plasma cutter.

It's not perfect but it was a quick job for a friend who just got a new dog. After cutting it out it turned out half decent. The biggest issue was with my lettering the Y in Skippy got to tight and I had to weld a small piece in to correct. I may also need to tighten up my belts a bit since the door knob was a perfect circle and well it is not as you can see!

upload_2023-1-14_17-35-55.png

I will take a look into Fusion 360 for the next project, I really want to be able to cut lines with out the closed vectors.