Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Project Planetary Gears

Discussion in 'CNC Projects' started by phil from seattle, Nov 29, 2019.

1. phil from seattle

phil from seattle Journeyman
    Builder

Planetary Gears. Fun project to build.
    See more here
    planetary.jpg

and a little video...

#1 phil from seattle, Nov 29, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I am curious what the gear ratio is? I bought an electric motor and via a brain fart - it was way more than I needed - and I would like to slow it down. I could cut these out of nylon, delrin, or aluminum and use it for my project. Or at least try.
    Thanks,

Craig

3. phil from seattle

Builder

The ratios are 16 (center) to 13 (planets) to 42 (planetary)

This size of gear isn't good for power transmission. It's more of a novelty. If you use Fusion 360, there are several gear generator apps that will give you more precise gears. FM gears looks pretty good. Free, too.

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Thanks. The more I thought about it after my post the more I realized it would overly complicated my drive mechanism. I will give my chain and sprockets a chance first.

I am making a powered kayak cart to help me get through the soft sand on some out of the way beaches that are close to some fishing grounds that are not targeted as much due to the difficulty in getting there because of the sand. It is amazing what a workout it is dragging 100 pounds worth of kayak and fishing gear through 1/4 to a 1/2 mile if soft sand can be because the wheels don't turn well. I am working on making a wireless speed controller using a Bluetooth app (hopefully). Sadly most pre-written Arduino code for is motor controllers are for the L298N. I needed more amps so I purchased a BTS7960 43A High Power Motor Driver.

5. phil from seattle

Builder

You should be able to find all manner of arduino code for what you want. That driver you have looks to be a full bridge driver and I'm pretty sure there is tons of code for that out there. It's pretty simple to write code for anyway, especially if you aren't really worrying about feedback.

On your kayak kart - low gearing and low pressure balloon tires are the way to go. Though some sort of track would probably be more effective,

Giarc likes this.
  6. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Thanks for the info. I have the right balloon wheels, it is the current biological propulsion system that is getting too old and worn out. I will stop thread-jacking now. :thumbsup: