Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Perpendicular Extrusion Connection Method

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Paul McKneely, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Paul McKneely

Builder

Say you want to drill access holes perpendicular to the axis of a standard T-Slotted extrusion for the purpose of screwing it to the end of another extrusion of the same type. The 2nd extrusion is tapped at the end for say an M5 screw and the access holes are for Allen Key access. What kind of screws are used to tie the two together and is a T-Slot nut involved or not? I would think that it might just be a pan or button-head screw that straddles the far T-Slot edges with the rims of the screw's head to tie the two together. Just trying to understand how this connection method works. I grabbed the image below off Phiget's T-Slot Primer. The primer says that the holes are only for the Allen Key to get to whatever it is tightening. It doesn't explain what other hardware is involved.

Is this what a "Socket Head Cap Screw" is for?

TapHoles.png

#1 Paul McKneely, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  2. Ariel Yahni

Ariel Yahni OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

When I have done this I get the screw inside the slot ( head will be about 5mm ) with a washer.

PS: OpenBuilds uses V-Slots :)