Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Pause program overnight?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Evilspawn, Jun 14, 2022.

1. Evilspawn

Evilspawn New
    Builder

How long can I leave a BB paused?
    I have a program that I'd rather not leave running overnight (mainly b/c I haven't hooked up my relay wire to the IoT power strip to turn off the spindle), but I'm not sure if I could just pause it, then resume in the AM, or if there is time-out built into the BB.
    I'm using the Interface to control it, so that's another possible place it might mess things up.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Regardless of whether you have a relay or not never leave it unattended :) please: see Don't catch on fire (: - also known as "what happens when you leave CNC unattended" [pics]

If your computer's Power Settings are proper (section 4.2 of the BlackBox docs and all sleep/hibernate/powersaving disabled ) you should be just fine pausing it overnight. Leave the BlackBox on (so motors maintain position) and turn the spindle off after pausing

Interface will be Fine - PC going to sleep was more the worry

3. Evilspawn

Evilspawn New
    Builder

As always, you're right on time with the answers. I left it paused for about 18 hours and simply started back up right where I left off. Thanks!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.