Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

packaging jigsaw and creasing wheel head on CNC with 4th axis on the head

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by laurent Besseas, Apr 14, 2020.

1. laurent Besseas

Builder

Hello,
    Is there a way to make a CNC for packaging purpose? I'm talking about the one with jigsaw and crease wheel to work with corrugated board for example.
    The pro CNC for packaging start at 50k€, so there is plenty of gap to get a DIY version.
    I believe that a any type of CNC build can be strong enough but the problem is first the the head with jigsaw and wheel, second by the vacuum table.
    The main difficulty is the head that need to be oriented, so it can't be a basic 3 axis CNC and the control board and software need to be able to used such head orientation.

Any idea are welcome because I'm not a maker but I can became one if somebody show me the path.
    Thanks

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

First questions are going to be size and production rate. Another question would be have you looked at drag knives? Would a high speed needle punch system work?

And as to whether you’re beyond the three axis realm I’m thinking not necessarily. If the vertical movement of the Z-axis is a very defined binary up/down it could be solenoid based and controlled with on/off commands leaving the third axis as a rotary.

3. laurent Besseas

Builder

Thanks, for sure better to start with an existing design but:
    1- rotary axis is mandatory for the wheel orientation
    2- the bed for a needle cut need to be soft material, but the wheel need a hard material
    Pro cnc looks like this:
    As per production, today I order custom made corrugated box for 20€ each when the raw material cost only 1€, so the ration material cost/machining cost is X20 mainly due to initial cost of the machine. Investing in a dye template and going up to 500 unit order reduced the cost to 7€, but doesn't make sens as my design is evolving so the packaging need to evolve too.

Looking into the web found the stepcraft oscilating head, so basically that's what I would like to implement: Oscillating Tangential Knife (OTK-3)
    For the wheel, I'm still looking for it.
    Even if I go for a ready made head, I have no idea what controller/software can run such type of head.

If I can produced 50 box/month in idle time by myself I will be more very happy.

#3 laurent Besseas, Apr 14, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020