Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OX - Stepper Motor Overheating

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Doug Oswald, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Doug Oswald

Builder

I have an OX (inherited from my father after he passed. Not sure of the rationale for selecting the electronics), with NEMA 23 steppers (2303HS280AW-OB) driven by DQ542MA amps. X and Z-Axis are 1 stepper/amplifier; Y-Axis has dual steppers driven from a single amp.

I've finished my first project as a trial, and the x-axis is missing a lot of steps, while Z and Y do not seem to be skipping much to any at all. The X-axis stepper is overheating. After my first project, I'm now working to true up my bed's sacrificial board, but need to solve the overheating/skipping issue first. Not sure if the amplifier is suited for the stepper. Looking for some electrical engineering advice here. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Not familiar with the DQ542's - someone else will doubtless chip in with advice on those - but first check to see if you have any stiffness/binding on the X axis.
    Alex.

3. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hi Doug,
    Have to look at the dip switches to see what the current is set to, also make sure the low current at idle is active. (sw4 on)
    How do you know they are over heating? what actual temp are they getting?
    If it's too hot to hold your hand on for a few seconds then that's getting too hot, otherwise it's not too hot.
    dq542ma manual here
    Switches 1,2,3 control the current, for those motors, you could use off, off, on for 2.37A and temps should be fine. The one drive running both Y motors should be maxed out at off, off, off
    If using GRBL post your $$ settings.
    Cheers
    Gary

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The DQ542MAs are what I use and I have had no problems with them at all. My motors stay cool. Like Gary said, one of the DIP switches may have been flipped to the wrong configuration. As for skipping steps, the Ox is belt driven so I would check all the pullies and lock collars to see if they are tight. A common cause of missing steps is from having loose grub screws in those items. As Alex said above, there could be binding and if eccentric spacers are too tight on the x axis that could cause binding.