Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Outside corner radii cut off straight across at tangent points

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Jason @ MCC, Jul 18, 2024.

1. Jason @ MCC

Builder

Hey guys, I need your help.
    I recently tried cutting out a pocket profile where the design was drawn in AutoCAD, the G-Code was created using V-Carve Pro, and sent to my QB Pro through OpenBuilds Control v1.0.377 on a OB BlackBox (the model version released just before the X32).
    As the attached photos show, somewhere in the translation the output G-Code cut off the interior rounded off corner edges of the pockets.
    I noticed the visual path of the cutter shown in OB Control showed the flat inside, but I had hoped this was just a rounding off visual error for segmented arcs as you get in AutoCAD, but unfortunately, it translated to a flat edge in real-time as well.
    I don't recall this occurring in past projects and don't recall making any changes to the settings since. I've tried regenerating the path in V-Carve Pro, several times, with the same results.
    Any ideas on what may be causing this? And more importantly, how to fix it?
    TYIA

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Jason @ MCC likes this.
  3. JakeNull

JakeNull New
    Builder

In aspire and maybe vcarve there is a sharp cornering section.

Attached Files:

4. Jason @ MCC

Builder

Yeah, I normally don't have any issue. I did an update and started having the issue. I think the "sharp internal corner" is likely reset. Jake's comment should take care of it.

5. Jason @ MCC

Builder

Thanks Jake. This is what I was looking for. Forgot about this setting.

JakeNull likes this.
  6. Jason @ MCC

Builder

Well, I came back from vacation and tried recalculating the toolpaths (with the sharp outside corner selected), with no change in the outcome.
    See the Input VCarve Toolpath pic and the resulting OB Control output pic. I also checked the post processor and even deleted the old connection, downloaded the most updated library, reselected the OB GRBL (mm) post processor, and resaved the G-Code. Again, with no change... resulting in the '...Output' pic below.

Attached Files:

7. Jason @ MCC

Builder

For scale, the outside radii inside the pockets are 0.25mm (for allowance of a 0.5mm diameter cutter).

8. Jason @ MCC

Builder

For context...
    The pockets I'm attempting to cut out look like below, only the flats I'm pointing to in the pic (along with ALL the other inside radii, as you can see) should be a 0.25mm radius. Are these dims beyond the software's capabilities?

Attached Files:

9. Jason @ MCC

Builder

Hi Peter. So...the 'sharp external corners' was not the issue. The Post Processor I have chosen in VCarve Pro is correct. I've even deleted the library and reinstalled and reselected the OpenBuilds PP. I've also gone in and deleted the OB Control and reinstalled it. And still, no resolution.
    Is there a limit to the software resolution? I'm running a 0.25mm radius on the external corners. Do you have any other ideas?

10. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

11. Jason @ MCC

Builder

Copy that. Thanks much!