Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OSX/Miner in OpenBuildsCONTROL.app

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by jacques cézard, Oct 23, 2020.

1. jacques cézard

Builder

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Will investigate, but could just be a local virus on your mac propogating itself by infecting other executables Run a full scan and clean that PC

CONTROL is built from source on Travis (for mac and linux) see Travis CI - Test and Deploy Your Code with Confidence (and on Appveyor for Windows). Both send it to Github directly from where you download, all very unlikely sources to get infected. An easier vector would be a malicious application on your computer modifying/injecting after download and during or after install

#2 Peter Van Der Walt, Oct 23, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  3. jacques cézard

Builder

Thanks Peter for your quick response, I will scan my macOs

4. LeanderK

LeanderK New
    Builder

Hello together,

I get a similar warning from my cloud provider(owncloud) about the OB Control Software:

"
    Ransomware Protection

Your account has been blocked by Ransomware Protection due to a detected attack.

- Locked at 18 March 2023, 10:03:15 UTC (server time), timestamp: 1679133795.
    - Reason: Pattern *.cnc was found in path files (...) /OpenBuilds/CBeam Machine Control Software 8_22_2016/CBeam Machine GCode Examples/Aspire Example Codes/Aluminum 20mm V Plate/Aluminum_20mm V Plate 1-8th EndMill.cnc.

Write access is enabled again by clicking the button.
    "​
    Could the reason be that the 'CBeam Machine Control Software' accesses the internet and is therefore classified as a ransomware file?

Best Regards

Leander

5. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

No, it's telling you that it doesn't like the phrase "*.cnc" - presumably a phrase that turns up in ransomware demands?
    Alex.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

.cnc is a file extension used by some CAMs to export gcode files. See the source code to view that in perspective Build software better, together
    The only two references to .cnc is in the "accept" attribute of the two HTML File Open Buttons (telling the File browser dialog to filter for .gcode, .gc, .tap, .nc and .cnc files)
    Learn more about the HTML Accept attribute here HTML input accept Attribute

BUT more importantly:

That's not CONTROL (our software) That's just a .CNC (GCODE) file on your computer :) you created some directory structure OpenBuilds > with stuff underneath it :) including some sample gcode files you downloaded from somewhere in 2016. "CBeam Machine Control Software" is not something that exists, that's just a folder you created presumably in 2016 and then put some stuff in there :)

#6 Peter Van Der Walt, Mar 20, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  7. LeanderK

LeanderK New
    Builder

Thank you so much for the super quick reply!

Here is where I downloaded this file zip file from your website last Friday and I made no changes. I've known your awesome project open builds since late last year, so the folder is definitely not mine. ;)

https://openbuilds.com/attachments/cbeam-machine-control-software-8_22_2016-zip.18834/

So, maybe there are malware filters in use in the owncloud software that don't like the .cnc extension or some other pattern. But if you can confirm to me that this 2016 zip file from your site is safe, I will just lift this "ransomware block".

Thanks again for your answers, I really appreciate them :)

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Yes 100% a false flag for a standard gcode file "extension" (Note the original message, *.cnc file name, not content) - overzealous.

LeanderK likes this.
  9. Peter Van Der Walt