Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

opinions on software to run on a Mac

Discussion in 'Other Software' started by Makoto cameron, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Makoto cameron

Builder

looking for options on software to run natively in a Mac environment, something like vcarve or aspire
    thanks in advance

pros and cons for any software greatly appreciated

2. ljvb

ljvb Well-Known
    Builder

You may have to use fusion or parallels to run windows. There is Mac software, but I don’t think vectric has any.

yiu can use fusion 360, blender, f-engrave, or a number of the cloud based solutions (like easel). I think Carbide pro might be a minor competitor to vcarve, it I don’t have either of those. I do have a Mac as well, for the trial versions of aspire/vcarve I had to use windows though.

Makoto cameron likes this.
  3. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

It is too bad Vcarve doesn't work for a Mac. It is so user friendly. I can drop an .stl file from thingiverse into my stockpiece, generate tool paths, and be cutting in minutes vs. Fusion 360s modifications I would have to do manually, as well as manually generating tool paths.

#3 Giarc, Dec 9, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  4. ljvb

ljvb Well-Known
    Builder

It's not quite as intuitive or easy as vcarve, or for that matter as good,, but both 2d and 3d adaptive operations will try to autogenerate tool paths.

5. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Yes. There are a whole lot of steps to go through. I am not trying to put down Fusion360. I love it and use it nearly everyday. The fact that Autodesk lets us use it for free is amazing and I am grateful. But once I purchased a $59 Estlcam license for all the advanced probing methods/tool change capabilities, I also gave its CAM functions a try and have never looked back. It too is so much easier -- in my opinion -- but there are a couple tricks you need to learn. In fact for simple 2.5D plates, I do not even make a 3D model in Fusion 360 anymore because it is unnecessary.

6. ljvb

ljvb Well-Known
    Builder

Honestly, I don't think Fusion was ever designed for what many of us do with it. For basic carving and stuff like that, it can do it, but it is not what it was ever designed for. I just wish there were more open source products like V-Carve or Aspire. F-Engrave works.. but it is not intuitive, and I don't think it has had any development for 3 or 4 years.

Makoto cameron and Giarc like this.