Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Operational Woe's !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Dean Webb, Feb 1, 2024.

1. Dean Webb

Dean Webb New
    Builder

1. Need to reverse X & Y axis direction on Interface and the computer control. No luck yet. Can you explain the process?

2. When unhooking Interface and using the computer for jogging - only 1 Y axis motor functions. Trouble shooting says Y axis triggered. Works fine on Interface with the computer disconnected. Any suggestions?

3. Is anything jeopardized if Interface is plugged in and showing some game on the screen while operating the unit by the computer to jog etc.
    I know you must use one or the other but does it hurt anything if the Interface is plugged in while using the computer.?

Thank you.
    DW

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

lets fix the axis directions....
    1. unplug the interface from everything
    2. plug the usb cable between the computer and the Blackbox
    3. open OpenbuildsCONTROL
    4. connect to the correct com port
    5. select the 'GRBL settings' tab
    6. change the settings for $3 'step direction invert mask' as needed
    7. click the blue save button at top left
    8. yes to 'reset the controller now?'
    now check that all the axes jog in the correct direction. remember that the correct direcitons are based on TOOL movements relative to the work.
    so X+ is tool to the RIGHT of the work
    Y+ is tool BACK from the work
    Z+ is tool UP from the work

all good?
    if only one Y motor is getting hot/moving then you have a wiring problem, fix that first.

use the 'troubelshooting' tab to troubleshoot the end stops. during normal operation they should all be green/off, and when you press one with a finger, then the correct indicator must change to red, so press X then X lights up and so on.

now that the directions are correct, and both Y motors work, we can work on homing.
    1. enable homing ($22)
    2. with nothing touching the home switches......
    3. and with hand hovering over the emergency stop, start a home cycle.
    if any axis does not go in the correct direction, E-stop, then use the settings to set homing directions in $23
    (here you would need to fix Z if it goes down instead of up before you can even test X and Y).

now do a full poweroff (pc and bb) and power on, start CONTROL, home, and cut the Hello World project to check that everything is good. (I use insulation foam for this kind of test, then rpm and feedrate don't matter at all, any speed will cut insulation).

as for things operatiing differently with the Interface I will let an Interface expert inform you, but for now be aware that ALL GRBL settings are stored in the blackbox and so there can be no operational difference between using a PC and using an Interface, so long as the setup is done correctly with a PC in the first place. Yes, it can be done with the Interface, but a PC is much much easier.

Misterg likes this.
  3. Dean Webb

Dean Webb New
    Builder

4. Dean Webb

Dean Webb New
    Builder

Thank you David - large help, much appreciated.
    As soon as I get caught up on your your fixes I'll probably be pestering you for some probe instructions. Says no probe detected or something to that effect. The controller isn't recognizing the probe. Probably I haven't turned on something on the control screen. I'll take a closer look.
    I can tell you when I touch the magnet to the probe body I get green lights on the probe what ever that might tell you.
    Thanks again - you da man.
    Dean