Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenXY

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Keith Davis, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Keith Davis

Keith Davis Veteran
    Builder

2. eduncan911

Builder

@Keith Davis fascinating concept, the OpenXY using cartesian coordinates.

I wanted to specifically congratulate you on something I've been thinking about for some time, and you basically just spelled it out here with this paragraph:

I plan on using 8mm threaded rod for the Z axis. The 4 pulleys mounted on the rods will be 20 tooth. The pulley on the Z axis motor will be 16 tooth. That gives a 5:4 ratio. An 8mm threaded rod moves 1.25mm per revolution. (1.25mm/5) * 4 = 1mm, so one revolution (200 steps) of the motor = 1mm movement. Hence, each motor step will produce a 0.05mm layer movement, guaranteeing that layer height (in 0.05mm increments) will always move by full steps eliminating the microstepping problem for Z axis. I've experienced one caveat to this concept - the #define DISABLE_Z true in Marlin has to be changed to false to eliminate the jump from energizing the Z axis motor between moves.

I think this is a underestimated statement by many. I'm still new to 3D printer design, so perhaps this is a common/obvious setup. But I haven't seen it spelled out to date.

And if anyone gets this design build, videos! My only slight concern is amount of movement of the idlers on the X gantry when Y moves forward and back. It seems the same as a CoreXY with stationary idlers though. Just an interesting concept, moving those idlers to the movable X assembly.

3. David Bacungan

Builder

Love having a fixed plate design. Modified my cartesian printer into a corexy that ive been using for over 3ys now. Wanted freedom of access to the extruder so I designed it with an open face. You have some interesting concepts that I'll consider in my next build (about time for a new one).

20220324_214215.jpg