Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilt projects and commercial production...

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by flysolo206, Nov 6, 2017.

1. flysolo206

Builder

Dear Makers of the Openbuilds forum, Im curious what your thoughts or experience is with using your builds in a commercial production setting. There are many hobbyist here but many of the builds I have seen can be used in high volume comercial production, just curious if anyone has tried or thought about it.

For a use case, consider that a CNC Lathe (from a US machinery company) can cost around 50k. And you only use if for simple operations. You need a maintenance plan, insurance, etc. It seems you can build one for around 1k that does the job quite well...but could it handle high volume production? Running 5-6 hours a day. And even if it couldn't buying/making 6 machines that can run 1 hour a day could be especially effective.

What do you think?

2. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Depending on the type of work you have in mind, it is quite feasible. My old machine used to run generally 4 to 5 hours a day. :)
    Cutting patterns for model houses and such out of ply and similar. Is that commercial usage, well it was for me.
    I think you can expect many CNC jobs to take 2 or more hours to run to completion, this is the limitation of "Hobby" machines, small bites, many many times. And, yes, having two or more machines are a great asset simply because of the waiting time for each job. Most definitely a case of start work on the next machine whilst waiting for the other one, but it won't reduce the job run time. Or sit and read a book and chill!
    What you are paying for, with the industrial/ commercial machines, is size, speed and power of cut.
    Gray

crispin and flysolo206 like this.