Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds WorkBee 1010

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mark Carew, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Hector Beltran

Hector Beltran Well-Known
    Builder

Is there an upgrade kit to extend Z axis? With two 3/4 MDF boards, I end up with less than 2 inches of travel.

2. Kilkenny

Kilkenny New
    Builder

WorkBee 1010 - Build Step 18 base Assembly.

I tried to square the base assembly and I'm having a hard time doing that. I've been testing for two days now and without success. I tried Matt's way and it doesn't work either. The four corners are lined up with 20x40 V Slot and the C Beam. No matter what method I use the base Assembly is not square. Do you have a tip to solve my problem. As I understand, it is important that the assembly base be square. Thank you for your held.

3. Hector Beltran

Hector Beltran Well-Known
    Builder

Make sure your extrusions are cut square. Also check if the aluminum around the threaded holes is perfectly flush; sometimes when the holes are threaded, they bulge slightly. You can check for squareness with the longest engineering square you can find. For the threaded holes, find a hard flat surface, place the hole surface face down and check to see if you have any rocking motion.
    If you can find a machinist or metal shop in your area, you can ask them to check your extrusions and make all the corrections if necessary.

4. gibson

gibson Well-Known
    Builder

try useing a square on all four corners losen them all up and do them one at a time

5. mkr

mkr New
    Builder

Hey there.

I'm interested in building the 1010 Workbee. Starting with a 3d-printed cnc this year (TopsCNC - The new 3D printed CNC Router Version by Topsie) I realized I want more and better aluminium milling. I'm planning to source the parts myself as I already have a bunch lying around and I'm on a tight budget.

I would like to ask, if you really need 1040mm leadscrews on the 1010 machine or are 1000mm enough by chance? 1040mm leadscrews are much more expensive to source then 1000mm leadscrews. Or do I just have to order the extrusions with 40mm less length and everything should be fine?

Thank you very much for your inputs :)

Michael

6. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

The length of the lead screw will determine the effective cutting length you will end up having. The longer the screw the longer the cutting length. You could use 500mm if you want, it would make no difference to the build of the machine. So the answer to your question is, yes, you can use 1000mm screw. The extrusion can stay the same length that you already have or, if you don't have it yet, order it shorter.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The extrusion has to be 40mm less than the leadscrew length - to allow one end of the leadscrew to seat in the idler bearing, and the other end to go through the other idler bearing, plate, and protrude enough to also go into the Shaft coupler to connect to the motor.
    If both are the same length, you will have trouble fitting it

8. mkr

mkr New
    Builder

Thank you for clarification. So I'm just going to order the profiles in 40mm shorter length. Thank you very much for your help and have a nice day.

Michael

9. mkr

mkr New
    Builder

Hi there. I got another question. I realized, 1010 Build is too big for me, so I'm going 750x1000. Now I wanted to know, if its better to set the X to 1000mm and Y axis to 750mm or X to 750 and Y axis to 1000mm? Is there any advantage in points of rigidity?

Best regards and thank you,
    Michael

10. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

If the x is 750, it will be more rigid.

What do you plan to cut? If my main objective was to cut only items that would fit that dimension, I would go X of 750 Y of 1000 due to increased rigidity. In fact my personal build is X of 850 and Y of 1500. I wanted to be able to cut 2' by 4' (quarter sheets) of plywood. With this configuration I can cut 49" (Y) by a little over 26" (X). However, another consideration is that with toolpath tiling, your open ended machine could theoretically cut an endless sheet of plywood so now, do you prefer that endless sheet to be 730mm wide (the stated cutting width of the Lead 1010) or 480mm wide (new cutting width of a 750mm X axis).

The funniest part about my build is that I have only once in 5 years needed the 2' by 4' cutting area to make a foam Halloween gravestone. 90% of my cutting takes place in the same 12" by 12" corner since most of my projects involve cutting aluminum or HDPE parts for myself or friends. :)

Mark Carew and Rick 2.0 like this.
  11. Christian James

Christian James Journeyman
    Builder

Sacrificing 40mm of the Y axis might not seem much, but it's better to have the extra than to not have it - bigger is always better for CNC routers
    I had the same problem during my build and was about to munch 40mm off my Y axis C-beams but decided to sleep on it - I had some 1000mm screws in the shed and was keen to repurpose them. After 15 hours in bed I finally came up with the idea of using adaptors to effectively lengthen the leadscrews. The problem of course is that you would need the resources to make them but easy if you have access to a lathe.

upload_2019-2-1_13-44-50.png

12. mkr

mkr New
    Builder

Thanks for your answer. I intend to cut aluminium (max 12mm I think) and wood on it, maybe try some pcbs too. I intend to mill a big alu bracket in ~ 600 x 200mm so 750x1000 is enough for me.

Thats a nice tip, thank you.

But I doubt "bigger is always better for CNC routers". The bigger the router the more flex and less rigidity you will have. Also if your constrained in space there is no need to buy / build a bigger router than your biggest objects you want to cut.

Giarc likes this.
  13. Christian James

Christian James Journeyman
    Builder

Sorry, I wasn't clear - "bigger is better" was referring to the extra 40mm you could have, not a 3 metre long machine or whatever.

14. Kilkenny

Kilkenny New
    Builder

Did you made this modification, I planned to make the same change as you. Are you satisfied with your new configuration?

15. Marinjerome

Builder

Nouveau Bonjour,
    Suite à la récupération de cette machine, sans documentation, sans rien, j'essaye de la remettre en service. Je suis surpris du jeu qu'il ya sur l'axe Z ??
    Et visiblement il n'y a pas de réglage possible ?
    Pas d'axe de roulement excentré ?

Jérôme (artboa Dijon)

Attached Files:

16. Marinjerome

Builder

Bonjour,
    Je suis perplexe sur le positionnement de cette fin de course? J'ai l'impression qu'elle ne fait pas son rôle ? IMG_20230514_080725.jpg IMG_20230514_080725.jpg IMG_20230514_080655.jpg

17. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

18. Marinjerome

Builder

19. Marinjerome

Builder

20. Marinjerome

Builder

Comme une flexion de la poutre entre les deux mouvements moteur?

Attached Files: