Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds Sphinx 55

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mark Carew, Jun 15, 2018.

1. David Bunch

David Bunch Veteran
    Builder

While cleaning the C-Beams for this build today, I noticed these defects in one of the 500mm C-Beams. I am guessing this is part of the anodizing process. Is it possible to get this replaced?
    IMG_5848_800x600a.jpg

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. David Bunch

David Bunch Veteran
    Builder

Thank you. They took care of the problem.

4. David Bunch

David Bunch Veteran
    Builder

In the Sphinx 55 build video for the Anti-Backlash nut block on the Left Y Plate (29:58) does not show that setscrew with nut like it does for the Right plate and there was no mention of it on the Right Y Plate portion other than it already being attached to the nut block (21:38). Does it need to go on there or did I miss something in the video? Here is a photo for reference.
    IMG_5858_640x480.jpg

5. David Bunch

David Bunch Veteran
    Builder

I figured out how the Anti-Backlash Nutblock works after looking at the parts store photo. I ran into a small 1mm problem when attaching the C-Beams. I could not get the C-Beams to line up on the ends, so took out my metric tape measure & one of the 2060-500mm is exactly 500mm length & the other is 501mm. Is that normal tolerance for that? I bought a couple of extra 2060x500mm for a different project, but those both measure 501 also. I do not have a good way to cut that small amount off, so am not sure what to do at this point.

6. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Logic would say, swop out the 500mm for a 501mm. If not, you must use the end which is square for all your future references.
    Regarding the Backlash Nut. Be sure that the nut is completely square to the screw, if not, it will mess up the thread.
    Make sure the tensioning screw is loose when you feed the screw into the block, then gently tension the two pieces of plastic by use of the screw. This action will cause the plastic to take up any slack, within the steel thread, in each direction. Thereby removing Backlash. Use the locking nut to secure.
    Sorry if I'm explaining the obvious.

7. David Bunch

David Bunch Veteran
    Builder

That is what I was thinking on the 2060's, but wanted to see what other suggestions there might be before taking that apart. At this point, it is not much to take apart. Thanks for the further info on the Backlash Nut. I have never used those before.

8. ashish B

ashish B New
    Builder

I wonder if another large xtreme wheel would add any benefit. Instead of 2 if we have 3 . I am upgrading my 500x500 to 1000x500 kyo Sphinx :) and thinking of making this change if it makes sense

#38 ashish B, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  9. Javit0

Javit0 New
    Builder

Hi there,

I am not sure if anybody is checking it, but I've downloaded the sketchup files and the 380mm vslot in the model is 2060 and everywhere else is 2080... Not critical at all, just for future reference.