Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds Sketchup videos.

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by frankp360, Mar 17, 2024.

1. frankp360

frankp360 New
    Builder

There are lots of great mechanical build videos; but, have not found any Sketchup video building an OpenBuilds project from scratch. Links appreciated.

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I did a bunch of sketchup CAM videos some years ago, cant recall now if one of them does a full walkthrough from drawing to product.
    Have a waltze through the playlist and see for yourself.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLm728rLHCWOw-vRvTJwS_5MmKG1fs4sZ0

Over this weekend I did a project for my wife, doing a 3D drawing in Sketchup, export as STL, import that into Fusion360, convert the mesh to a body, then use Fusion to generate Gcode.
    Why? Because I am very familiar with drawing in Sketchup, less so in Fusion, but Fusion generates lovely 3D code.

The 1/2" 2 flute carbide did a great job on the roughing out (this is foam rubber floor matt glued up into 5 layers). Next time I will turn off all 'stock to leave' and stop here (-:
    foam1.jpg

the 6mm 2 flute 6mm cutter did fairly well except for the fine step downs on the slopes, 10 minutes with tweezers will fix it
    foam2.jpg
    at the bottom of that picture you can see the difference between climb and conventional cutting in foam, that cut was right to left, the conventional side is much cleaner so I had to run a cleanup of that cut going the other way.

3. frankp360

frankp360 New
    Builder

Hello David,
    Thanks for your reply. Interesting to see where the OpenBuilds logo comes from.
    For those new to Sketchup and OpenBuilds like me it would be helpful to see a relatively simple library part built from scratch. I've been playing with the NEMA 17 belt and pinion actuator (the one that is available with 2000 mm range). Plan is to build a 2m XY gantry with 2 horizontal and 1 vertical actuator.

David the swarfer likes this.