Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds OX CNC Machine

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mark Carew, Dec 15, 2013.

1. oni305

oni305 Well-Known
    Builder

Total weight?

2. James Kirkley

Builder

So Chris...What do you recommend as a good router in the compact router/trimmer 2 1/2 inch diameter category. One for which you have perfected a mount.

Also, How does the mount attach to the z-axis plates. Are their a set of tapped holes in the z-axis?
    In other words do the screws pass through smooth holes in the mount and into tapped holes in the z-axis?

If I proceed with buying an OX router kit, I would buy all the OX plates as well as the specific router mount in one shot. I want to get all my ducks in a row to make sure everything goes together alright.

Are the z-plate holes at standard dimension and screw sizes. I understand that you have variations in the mount itself depending on the brand. But can I take a mount for the bosh, Makita, and the Dewalt and interchange them onto the z-Plate?

Opps...I guess you already implied that when you stated:
    "my Mounting kits are designed to attach your router very rigidly to the Z axis of an Openbuilds OX CNC... no new holes required."

So I guess the holes are already there in standardized locations and diameter. Are they pre-tapped? Although that gets into a discussion on what is the best diameter and thread size. Maybe just a screw and bolt are a better method.

#1472 James Kirkley, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  3. Chris Laidlaw

Chris Laidlaw Well-Known
    Builder

I'm not sure which router is "best". Most builders would probably say the one they used is best.
    The mounting kits attach to the slots in the 20 x 60 V-slot rail. (they will not work with 20 x 40)

4. James Kirkley

Builder

Ok...I went back and looked at the build video of the z-axis. Yep understood...the router mount sits against the 20 x 60 rail. I was planning building with that wider stock. I assume T-nuts are used for router mount attachment. Thanks for all your help.

5. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

You will need (4) M5 x 20mm screws to mount Chris' router mounts to the 20x60 v-slot. I just did it, and seemed to have every size on earth, but those! LOL

Mark Carew likes this.
  6. Serge E.

Serge E. Journeyman
    Builder

If the diameter are close enough (as in real close), you should be able to use the same mount. But there is not a lot of room to play for obvious reasons (need to hold the router firmly).

If you use full length (1500 mm) for your X axis (three pieces of V-slot : 20x60) and full 1000 mm lengths for your Y there are no cuts to be done, except for the short Z. This gives you an OX with a work area of a bit more than 4' in X and a bit less than 3' for your Y (the router hangs forward, so you loose about 8", the actual router used will make a difference of potentially a couple inches). So you have just one piece to cut, and this one (Z) can always be filled until you are happy since a standard OX only has an effective working depth of about 2" at most and you will have 1000 mm to finish with a good 250 mm piece. Of course, with that big an OX you should have at least two cross members to keep the base Xs length parted evenly on the full 1500 mm length. So two more cuts to reduce 1000 mm 20x40 down to 980 mm each.

I read someone used a table saw with an appropriate blade to cut the V-slot... I hand cut mine V-slot, then did some filing to make square (and equal Ys). myOX has a working area a bit more than 4' (X) and about 2' (Y), but it has the potential of working any length (as in infinity) by sliding the work piece through work in about 20" sections at a time.

If you use the (draft) OXcalculator, it will help with the BoM and estimate the working area given only the basic three numbers: length of X, Y and Z you target. I am still working on the break down for screws and such so the OXCalculator will tell you how many of each you will need (based on a reference OX build).

#1476 Serge E., Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  7. Serge E.

Serge E. Journeyman
    Builder

Found mine at ... Fastenal. You just have to get a package of 50 (about 9$ plus shipping). They have storefront virtually in my backyard (ok, walking distance on a nice sunny day).

8. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

I have a True Value Hardware store about 3 miles from home that has a very large selection. I am becoming a regular shopper there. They no longer ask if I need help, and just point to the screws! LOL

Chris Laidlaw likes this.
  9. Chris Laidlaw

Chris Laidlaw Well-Known
    Builder

I've bought up all the M5 x 20 screws for my mounts from all the hardware stores in a 20 mile radius from my house, and now am putting in an order at Fastenal too. :)

10. Serge E.

Serge E. Journeyman
    Builder

Are you thinking of including the 4x M5 x 20 mm screws and, maybe, T-nuts (drop-ins would be nice since people might already have everything else built up...) along with the mounting kits ? :rolleyes: So buyers wouldn't have to hunt for those few items in their workshop's dark corners or find a store having stock ... especially if they live within 20 miles of your house. o_O

11. Paruk

Paruk Journeyman
    Builder

Busy with getting the servo belts in, a bit of fiddling to get it in but the first one seems to work pretty good, 2 to go.

12. WA4WZP

WA4WZP New
    Builder

Received my gantry plates from Chris Laidlaw. Reasonable price for beautiful work! Ordered Sunday 9/28/14 from his eBay page. Received today 10/1/14. Chris is in California and I am in North Carolina. He must 'know' someone at the US Post Office. 3,000 miles in 3 days is amazing!

13. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

Yeah, when I ordered my router mount, we had an email to finalize and he shipped within 4 hours!

WA4WZP and Chris Laidlaw like this.
  14. Chris Laidlaw

Chris Laidlaw Well-Known
    Builder

My record is 25 minutes. I admit I cheated a bit. I make almost all of my parts after I get an order, but this day I had made an extra set of plates. I had just gotten back from the post office at 5:25 pm when I got a new order. I decided to give it a try, so I wrapped them, signed the card, boxed them, and only because all 5 lights were green, I got them stamped with tracking numbers 10 minutes before the 6:00pm last pickup at the post office. :)

Dave Millard and WA4WZP like this.
  15. WA4WZP

WA4WZP New
    Builder

Even with Priority Mail...your shipping time was impressive! Even though I'm on the east coast, one of the companies I work for is located in California. They eventually went direct deposit because it was taking the Post Office a week to get mail across the country!

16. Paruk

Paruk Journeyman
    Builder

Rhinofart likes this.
  17. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

first, read this http://openbuilds.com/threads/routy-cnc-router-v-slot-belt-pinion.27/page-11#post-2723

26.666 steps per mm is 0.0375 mm per step. this is about 1.47 thousanths of an inch per step. should be just fine for most uses.
    if you need to go smaller than that then
    a - you can use 16x microstepping instead of 8x (I calculate you are using 8x if you are using 20 tooth pulleys and GT2 belt)
    b - you might need to use leadscrews instead of belts.

belts give you speed over resolution
    screws give you resolution over speed

GrayUK and Mark Carew like this.
  18. planga

planga New
    Builder

Hey Robert,

Do you (or anyone else) know if that material is the same thing as Garolite? You called it "ceramic fiber board", but when I look that up, that usually appears to be white and looks more like material they would use on the space shuttle for the heat deflection tiles. It would be nice to find a good source for the material.

Here are a few links to more info about some possible materials:
    http://www.spambutcher.com/parts/garolite.html (Good description of Garolite)
    http://www.lackeysailing.com/utility/frp.pdf (This compares the strength of different grades of Garolite and some fiberglass equivalents). The tensile strength of Garolite seems to be extremely high... almost that of carbon fiber, at about 1/10th the price.

Yours looks very nice and material like that would eliminate the expense of anodizing or powder coating (for those of us who require everything to look really cool ;). I'm interested in hearing more about how it performs compared to aluminum.

Thanks!
    -Patrick

#1488 planga, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  19. Robert Hummel

Robert Hummel Custom Builder

It is not what I was told by the person I got it from.
    It is GPO3 polyester glass ,a composite sheet produced from glass mat and polyester resin.

20. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team

Garolite is a name brand for a phenolic resin based board available with many different sheet fillers.

Hard and Strong Garolite (XX) Used this on my OX build
    Lighter than metal but dense and strong, this paper-based material absorbs less moisture than Impact-Resistant CEGarolite. Often used for gasketing and gears.

• Color: Opaque tan to brown, except sheets are also offered in opaque black
    • Maximum Temperature: 265° F
    • Tensile Strength: Excellent
    • Impact Strength: Poor
    • Electrical Insulator: Good
    • Machine: Use carbide tooling
    • Hardness: M100-M105

Electrically Conductive Garolite (Glass Carbon)
    The graphite-carbon portion of this glass-based material conducts electricity, removing static charges.

High Temperature Garolite (G-11)
    Suitable for continuous use in elevated temperatures, this fiberglass-based material retains at least 50% of its structural strength at temperatures above 300°F.

Machinable Garolite (LE)
    A fine-weave cotton-cloth base gives LE Garolite good machinability and wear resistance.

Flame-Retardant Multipurpose
    Garolite (G-10/FR4)

This flame-retardant version of G-10 Garolite offers excellent strength, low water absorption, and good electrical insulating qualities in dry and humid conditions.

Multipurpose Garolite (G-10)
    Combines good electrical insulating properties with high strength and low moisture absorption.

Ultra-Impact-Resistant Garolite (E-Glass)
    An alternative to our ultra-impact-resistant polycarbonate,E-glass Garolite provides outstanding protection from impact and punctures, making it ideal for use as machineguards.

Impact-Resistant Garolite (CE)
    This general-purpose laminate is used primarily for mechanical applications, such as bushings, gears, androllers.

Electrical-Grade Garolite (G-9)
    Often used as arc barriers and switchboard panels, this high-strength material has excellent arc resistance.

There may even be more variations to Garolite be these are a few I found searching.
    Hope this helps
    Mark

21. Rhinofart

Rhinofart New
    Builder

Doh! Why didn't I think of that. :banghead: Tonight, I be drillin' some holes.

22. Robert Hummel

Little update :)
    Motor spacers milled from 6061
    image.jpg

Motors mounted with spacers in place :)
    image.jpg

23. Alberto Boria

Builder

I believe I just blown my driver board. I was try moving the axis and when I try the z axis just see something short and a burn smell. Anyone know which board I can use to work with my OX. Also any help how can I verify the openbuild motor if still work.

Thanks in advance,

Alberto

24. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team

Looking great so far Robert! :thumbsup:
    Any specs on the drivers you have there?
    Thanks in advance
    Mark

Alberto Boria likes this.
  25. Robert Hummel

They are TB6600 4.5 amp drivers from china.
    They work fine but I was not happy with the layout.
    I have since found much better boards, same driver and will be offering 4 driver kits soon.
    My first batch sold out really quick

26. Paruk

Paruk Journeyman
    Builder

There's a link in my build part list to those drivers on eBay.

Robert Hummel likes this.
  27. Paruk

Paruk Journeyman
    Builder

What is better on them? Do you have a link to them?

28. Paruk

Paruk Journeyman
    Builder

Just received the TB6600 motor drivers. Quick in town to see if I can get the power supply and a cheap used laptop. With a bit of luck the Buffalo might be up and running before the end of this weekend! Tsjakka!

29. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hi Robert.
    Please can you keep me posted on these new 4.5Amp Drivers kits you plan to market?
    If they are not too expensive, maybe a 5 Drivers set could be handy for future proofing.

Do you plan to supply them mounted to a heat shield etc, maybe too much weight there, or in a box of some sort?
    I would be running them with the USB/Controller.

What are those motors you have attached to your boards? I don't recognise them?

(I reckon you must dread putting up a picture on the Forum, because you immediately get bombarded with questions!!)

Many Thanks
    Gray

30. Dave Millard

Builder

Hi Robert

Do these spacers make any difference to the stability of the Z motor versus using normal alu tube spacers. As it sits directly above the screw, and the screw sits between bearings at either end, the twisting moment cannot be that great. Is this just a personal style preference.

They look really nice, btw.