Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds OX CNC Machine

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mark Carew, Dec 15, 2013.

1. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

Maybe it's my english :p (I'm french)

Yesterday I measured my x axis movement. I was asking a 100mm movement (G0 x100, from 0), but it moved 102mm. I went into the "motor tuning" page and lowered the "step per" value. I moved the x axis again (G0 x0, from previous position; 100) and it moved 101mm. I lowered the "step per" value again and it moved 100mm when I ask 100mm, axis tuned!

2. GrandpawB

GrandpawB Well-Known
    Builder

"I knew it was the port settings I just forgot that I knew!"
    Yah right, let's go with that.:ROFL: Thanks for your help.

3. SlyClockWerkz

SlyClockWerkz Well-Known
    Builder

There is an even easier method when using Mach 3. Take a look at the picture in this link: http://cdn.instructables.com/FSP/SMKF/HMMFDPWS/FSPSMKFHMMFDPWS.MEDIUM.jpg

Go to the "Settings tab" and click "Set steps per unit". It will ask you in what axis to calibrate, and how far you want to move the axis. Once that is done, it will jog the machine the distance you set. Then Mach will ask you to measure how far the mill actually moved. Once you put that value in, it will adjust your steps per inch/mm.

Good luck!

4. SlyClockWerkz

SlyClockWerkz Well-Known
    Builder

Using the hobbycnc pro 4 axis? How do you like it so far?
    I just ordered one myself. I have the EZ driver from hobbycnc right now, that I use on my small desktop mill.

5. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

I ordered all the hardware yesterday for an 1000X1500 footprint OX! Protodrake has a lot lower stock now :p Does anyone have any idea if I'll have to modify something of the design for this bigger OX? I also bought a Makita 3709 (3/4HP, 30K RPM, 4A, 1/4" shaft). Do you think that this router will be powerful enough to cut aluminium? Do you know if there is an adapter to reduce from 1/4" to 1/8" end mill diameter?

Thank you!

6. SlyClockWerkz

SlyClockWerkz Well-Known
    Builder

I think it will be plenty powerful. I also have that size machine on order

7. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

EdinSimon likes this.
  8. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

#458 Rick 2.0, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  9. Spark Concepts

Spark Concepts Journeyman
    Builder

I was looking at upgrading my Routy to an OX which seems pretty straight forward. I keep running into issue with the DXF files for the plates. I have sent them to a few local machine shop and they are all mentioning that they can't cut them because the circles are polylines and not radii. Any idea on the best way to fix this?

10. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team

I can upload a new DXF that may help with that. I am trying out some new exporters in the pro version of SketchUp.

lol I was sling'n some oil in that pic :) I am the one to blame for mounting that backwards :rolleyes: Rushing around to take the pic and thats what happens:duh:
    P.S. It has since been corrected :D

#460 Mark Carew, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    Spark Concepts likes this.
  11. Colin Russon

Builder

Yep, its me. Colin.

The end plate pics are there to show all how good this machine really is, I don't have the space to test a machine here and I did not spot the XO!

My machine is different, as usual, the gantry plates are 3mm mild steel powder coated and very, very rigid, but really heavy, and they can be doubled up to form 6mm or split to provide balanced rail support. The split plate design has been very popular with clients.

12. Spark Concepts

Builder

Awesome! Thanks kram

13. Mark Carew

I will let you know when its there. just did an update and have a little trouble editing my build. :)

14. SlyClockWerkz

SlyClockWerkz Well-Known
    Builder

Can you elaborate on the split design for the plate s? I was toying with the idea of using mild steel. How much heavier do you think the steel is than aluminum plates? Concerns about v wheels deforming?

15. Mark Carew

16. SlyClockWerkz

SlyClockWerkz Well-Known
    Builder

Hey Kram,
    I was having the same issue with some shops inquiring about the polygon issue as well.
    Also, the new files you just posted aren't true circles either, also made up of polylines.

17. Spark Concepts

Builder

Hey Kram,
    Thanks for the files, just looked at the new DXF and still rocking polylines...

SlyClockWerkz likes this.
  18. Mark Carew

Ok thank you for the update I am going to dig into that a little deeper and see whats going on because I know it can be done. I think that I am missing a setting some where

19. SlyClockWerkz

SlyClockWerkz Well-Known
    Builder

I've been messing around with the dxf in autocad for about an hour, and have been trying to convert to polylines, and then creating a circle from them. No luck. I've read that Sketchup does not draw true circles. They are also drawn in line segments, so I doubt Sketchup will be able to export true circles.

Should I take one for the team and re draw them in autocad?

P.S. Where can I find the 3mm pitch pulleys? Unless you guys are going to be stocking them soon..

20. Mark Carew

They should be in stock at the OpenBuilds Part Store tomorrow :) Thanks for the support!

Found this great response on another thread about someone trying to export for laser cutting. I will be trying option # 2. Most people would not think to export this way but if it works great!

Today, there are about three different ways to export DXF from a SketchUp model. All might require some postprocessing in AutoCad or some other application to fulfill all the requirements of your laser cutting technician.

1. Export a 2D drawing from SketchUp:
    - you can tweak the export options so that all you get are simple lines on layer 0.
    - faces will not get exported
    - circles and arcs will be split into straight segments
    - in postprocessing you would have to change the colour of layer 0 to red and recreate your etching areas

2. Export a 3D model from SketchUp
    - you can export your "2D drawing" as a 3D model
    - SketchUp layers will be respected
    - SketchUp circles and arcs will convert to AutoCad circles and arcs
    - SketchUp faces (that you have used to define your etching areas) will convert to AutoCad polyface entities. OK if the etcher can work with them
    - you may have to adjust the colours in AutoCad

3. Export a 2D drawing from the LayOut application (create a vector-rendered viewport of your model to 1:1 scale)
    - all edges etc. will be converted to AutoCad lines with a specified plotting thickness and a black (RGB 0,0,0) colour
    - you can choose to export your faces; they will become solid hatch objects
    - you may have to adjust the colours and line widths in postprocessing

Normally AutoCad lines do not have any thickness at all, and the width setting is only for plotting. 2D polylines can have a width.

Anssi

trigger and Robert Hummel like this.
  21. Mark Carew

Ok I tried option #2 above and it seems like it may have worked. I have no way of testing this at the moment so if someone want to check to see if these are poly lines or circles that would be great. Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

22. SlyClockWerkz

SlyClockWerkz Well-Known
    Builder

Opened her up quick before bed time, it sort of worked... still some post processing needed to be done though.

Attached screen grab of what a close up circle looks like. Its weird too, the very edges of the parts still appear to be line segments, unlike the holes which now have both a true circle and a polygon (see attached). I can manually re draw the corners though.

I can try to clean the rest up tomorrow night if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Attached Files:

23. Mark Carew

Nice thanks @SlyClockWerkz I think I may know what the double line thing is and its my fault. I did the lazy way out when setting dimensions and decided I would just add circles and arcs over the existing layer instead of going in and setting them :)
    I will try this with out them and lets see how it does

24. Mark Carew

Can we give these a try? I am thinking 2 will work but 3 will not

Attached Files:

25. SlyClockWerkz

SlyClockWerkz Well-Known
    Builder

2 is more or less the same as the first one you posted. 3 doesn't work.

However, I did finished cleaning up the main side plates. Rest is for tomorrow

26. Mark Carew

Good deal, thanks
    Do you still have the double lines or is all good now? Is clean up required on the #2 I just sent?

27. Colin Russon

Builder

Here are some pictures, one side shows double 3mm plates, the other the split plate design. My reference to the mild steel being heavy was meant in comparison to aluminium. A double plate weighs 1.6Kg, perhaps somebody else could state what the weight of a 6mm aluminium plate is to compare the two different materials?

I don't think there is much chance of deformity, especially using the solid v-wheels.

OX XYZ Axis Choices.175.jpg OX XYZ Axis Choices.174.jpg OX XYZ Axis Choices.173.jpg OX XYZ Axis Choices.172.jpg OX XYZ Axis Choices.37.jpg OX XYZ Axis Choices.36.jpg
    OX XYZ Axis Choices.175.jpg OX XYZ Axis Choices.174.jpg OX XYZ Axis Choices.173.jpg
    OX XYZ Axis Choices.175.jpg

#477 Colin Russon, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  28. asb_79

asb_79 Well-Known
    Builder

The 6mm Aluminium plates I have weighs ~568g each.

29. SlyClockWerkz

SlyClockWerkz Well-Known
    Builder

The double lines were still there

30. Mark Carew

@SlyClockWerkz thank you again I will read more and see what I may be doing wrong
    @Colin Russon The double plate mod! :thumbsup: Looks like its very strong and will help to keep debris out of the wheels and pulleys.

Colin Russon likes this.