Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds OX CNC Machine

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mark Carew, Dec 15, 2013.

1. aayushrohan86

Builder

can i use CNC TB6560 4 Axis Stepper Motor Driver Controller Board in ox cnc machine

2. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Hi,

Yes with out mechanical kit you can pair it with what ever electronics you like.

Ryan

3. Saint Billy

Builder

Hi, building the Ox atm, in part one of the build video it mentions to refer to the diagrams when starting the chasis build, can anyone point me in the direction of these diagrams because for the life of me I cannot find them. I know it is me being dum.

I know there are diagrams for the Ooznest build but I have a feeling they do a slightly different build and following them might create a wee bit of confusion to an already confused old boy.

Cheers

4. BespokeS

BespokeS New
    Builder

Great videos and thank you!

I want to build an OX-like CNC that will cut fabric. It requires a larger area and the z-axis motor will need to be converted to a rotation angle for rotary cutting blade (with a manual spring loaded downforce). I have been hatching my plan as a master's student in engineering and really appreciate your work. Can you give me some advice?

Is there any reason this could not be expanded to a 5'x3' work area simply by using longer V-slot beams and longer wiring? Would it be best to put the longer axis on the double-motor axis or is there no difference, in your opinion? Any recommendations for the motor tweak from your experience would be appreciated.

Thanks and build on!
    Ben

5. Saint Billy

Builder

Scrub this, I was ofcourse being stupid.

6. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You might do forum searches for "drag knife" and "fabric". These topics have been touched upon several times over the past few years and this will get you moving along faster than waiting for an expert on the subject to find your question here.

7. BespokeS

BespokeS New
    Builder

Thank you, that is very helpful!

8. ANDRESCAMPA

Builder

Hello Marck, I am in a design with 1600 oz Nema 34 or 115kg torque motors, weighing approximately 5Kg each + 0.7 of a nema23 motor for the Z axis, and a 2.2Kw spindle that weighs 5.5Kg + 2Kg from other parts in the X axis In total an approximate of 24Kg in the car X counting the 2 plates with motors in the Y axis...

Do you have any table on the maximum weight for profiles 20x80 of length of 1500mm?

Go to the design photo: SUPER OX NEMA 34 1600 OZ Motors!!!

9. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

This may help How to calculate V-Slot® deflection

ANDRESCAMPA likes this.
  10. Jestah

Jestah Well-Known
    Builder

Not to be a spoil sport but mounting 2.2kw of power to any thing other than a VERY robust frame may not be as handy as it seems. If the WHOLE machine can't cope with 2.2kw of cutting force you will need to back the power to be less than the weakest link in your system and will be spending a lot of cash to move around dead weight. Yes larger tools ( some one fact check me on this one) can produce better surface finish but this is not an advantage if your whole frame cant keep the work DEAD still as any wobble will be seen as cutter chatter.

A smaller spindle that is a lot lighter will have FAR better acceleration and smaller cutting loads that in my opinion are more inline with the performance expected from standard OB parts. Both options end up being able to put the same KW of power into the work BUT the lighter rig will be able to run MUCH faster with better cut results as less time is spent accelerating the heavy load. Rocking HSM and fusion also gives you access to pimp adaptive cutting methods really help make using small tools far less of an issue to as the code created is such that the cutting loads are very stable so you can really crank up your feed rates to claw back some losses from using smaller tooling.

An other way to look at it may be what is the point of putting a super car engine into a fiat pronto body.... The power is nice but open it up full thorttle and the pro little frame is bond to bend.....

So back to your question... 2.2kw spindle on a Cbeam to me sounds like a bad idea BUT maybe bolt a few together and you could be onto a winning solution ( my last 2.2kw router build had a gantry that was a single 120 x 80 extrusion). For one stock lenghth of Cbeam I would match it with a 800w spindle for the above reasons as to me it has been the best power, cost, weight and noise ratio but then again I have seen a few 2.2kw builds on the site so maybe best to wait for someone to chim in. A little warning that I could be being overly worried as I have been known to over think even the simplest of things!

What are you planning on cutting as all of the above becomes moot if actually only want to cut foam but considering the size of your motors I am guessing you had harder cuts in mind?

ANDRESCAMPA likes this.
  11. ANDRESCAMPA

Builder

WOW!!!

Results= X axis= 0.26mm and Y axis= 0.14mm with 3 supports!

Then I will use 5 Supports for Y Axis!

#3311 ANDRESCAMPA, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  12. ANDRESCAMPA

Builder

Watch this:

13. Jestah

Jestah Well-Known
    Builder

Nice build but it just really backups what I'm trying to say.... To me I see a BIG build, BIG spindle running slowly at no where NEAR the full power being drawn from the spindle. Yes this build could then take deeper/stronger cuts but if your not doing that ALOT personally I see it a waste of cash and effort to build it so rugged if your not going to use it.

A smaller spindle on on the same frame would actually cut better as you could double, if not triple the accelerations. Not as noticeable on long straight cuts but get into fine details and cutting results and cycle times will both be far better.

Can any one confirm if the gantry is Cbeam/Vslot as to me it looks like a much bigger profile with also metal V wheels on V rails?

ANDRESCAMPA likes this.
  14. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

In the video comments he says it (X axis) is "60 120 extrusion from Misumi." The y- axis looks like it is Makerslide. The v wheels run on a v rail formed when extruded.

15. ANDRESCAMPA

Builder

The Rail X in the video is 60x120mm, I will cut Aluminium in 2" and Iron... I think in build a similar machina that in the video but with OX system Rails: 2 20x80 1500mm in the X Axis and 2 20x80 3000mm in the Y Axis with NEMA34 Motors (5KG for Motor)... what do you think?

16. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I have two 20x80 Vslot rails bolted together forming my X axis which is only 850 mm long. If I push real hard on it by hand, it will flex. I have two 269 oz NEMA 23 motors using Acme threaded rods moving the gantry along the Y axis and can cut wood very accurately at 3000 mm/minute. I have never tried it faster because I have not felt the need. If I pushed it a lot harder and cut deeper, I believe there would be too much flexing for the accuracy I want. If you use belt at 3000 mm you will get a lot of stretch unless you use very large belts. The person that posted the video you keep linking to your posts said they had to upgrade to rack and pinion due to belts performing poorly and made other upgrades,

I don't know what you are attempting to cut, so I do not know your needs. Therefore, I do not want to tell you what to choose. That is up to you. If I were making one that large and were using OpenBuild s V slot, It would be mounted to the side of a steel frame. I would use probably 3X as many wheels as I use now and I would use at minimum, four 20x80 (80x80 total) v slot rails bolted together for the X axis if I were going to cut aluminum. But, I am not an engineer.

ANDRESCAMPA and Jestah like this.
  17. Jestah

Jestah Well-Known
    Builder

cutting 50mm thick ali. and iron on a router sounds like a bad idea and I think you really should be looking to build a mill if that will be your bread and butter on this rig.

ANY router is going to struggle with iron or mild steel as it is cut best with low rpm and high torque and sees far more cutting forces (that is why mills weight a ton and are build like tanks). Routers are best suited for non-ferrous metals and softer as you can cut much higher RPM, much lower torque and lower cutting loads. Think that many faster shallow cuts will finish the job in the same time as one big aggressive cut.

While a beefed up OX (do I get extra points for the rad pun?) might be able to mill a 50mm thick slab of ali, I think ANY router trying to slot cut in that depth of pocket could suffer clogging and tool snaps so make sure to factor in some high pressure coolant into your build OR you will be force to mill out over sized pockets just for chip clearance to get down to full depth.

What size parts are you trying to make?

#3317 Jestah, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    ANDRESCAMPA likes this.
  18. ANDRESCAMPA

Builder

1500x3000mm

19. ANDRESCAMPA

Builder

Thank you very much dear Friend!

20. Saint Billy

Builder

Minor problem which I am sure can be easily solved by a guru out there.

Just doing the wiring on my Ox build, i have connected the fan to the fan pins on the xpro v3 board but the fan does not function The problem is that the board provides three pin outs but my fan connector only has 2 female pins, I have tried it on just two pins either way round but with no luck which leaves me to think it is the two end pins that are live, can anyone confirm what is the correct pins as I am nervous of shorting something out.

21. Saint Billy

Builder

Many thanks JustinTime, electrics are not my thing as you can guess.

Sounds so obvious when you hear it from someone who knows what they are doing.

22. Justin Y.

Justin Y. New
    Builder

Looking for any help you can provide. I have had my OX for a little over a year that I purchased from SMW3d, but have not had much time to do anything with it because we had a new baby. I am starting to get some free time now and have been trying to get to the garage to play around. I have been having issue with consistency. I am having issues with missed steps and incomplete projects. I have been trying to cut a series of 1/2 holes in a piece of MDF to make a scissor holder for my wife. Every time i run the program i get a different outcome. I have not had one time that it could complete the cut of one hole all the way through with out binding up. This then throws off the rest of the cuts. I have tried to slow the feed rate down to 20, but still the same problems. I am using Chilipeppr to send my G code and Vcarve pro to create my projects. Attached are the settings on my Tiny G.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Justin IMG_0991.jpg IMG_0992.jpg IMG_0993.jpg IMG_0994.jpg IMG_0995.jpg IMG_0996.jpg IMG_0997.jpg IMG_0998.jpg

23. thomanie

thomanie New
    Builder

Hi,

Built a 1000x750 OX from an Ooznest kit. Using a single-hand Makita clone router (~700W, 30K rpm, 1/4" collet) on it. Electronics are grlbShield with A4988s, set to 1/8th microstepping. Grbl settings as suggested on the front page for the OX project. Using grbl v0.9 since v1.1 seems to have a pretty serious Z-travel bug. Vrefs are adjusted as described for the A4988 driver to match the 2.8A motors supplied with the Ooznest kit. Milling depron works like a charm. So far so good!

Problems start when I try to mill 6mm plywood. My X-axis will suddenly and at random "kick" and jump backwards, rendering milled part useless. Never seen it on Y, or Z. The whole stepper kicks reverse with a "dunk", so it does not look like belt slipping on pulley, nor pulley slipping on axle. Heatsinks on the A4988s are not even warm to the touch when this happens, so there should be sufficient cooling.

I think I have tried the obvious:
    * belt tension
    * reduced acceleration
    * re-adjusted Vrefs
    * reduced plunge depth (down to 0.5mm/pass)
    * reduced feedrate (down to F150)
    * tried grbl v1.1

Running out of ideas - so any help greatly appreciated!

T

Attached Files:

• ox.jpeg
      ox.jpeg
      File size:
      88.5 KB
      Views:
  24. Darathy

Darathy New
    Builder

mybe the pulley on motor is slipping?

25. thomanie

thomanie New
    Builder

@Darathy - thanks for pitching in!
    Took the pulley off, and there's no scuff-marks from a slipping set-screw whatsoever on the stepper axle. 99% confident that's not why it kicks.

Suspecting electrical over mechanical issue...

T

26. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

How deep were you cutting? The Y uses two motors, the X one. Maybe the A4988s can't handle the depth you were cutting with one motor which is why you see it on the X? Plywood can be tough depending on what it is made from.

27. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

I think you may need higher ampage drivers, a4988's have 2A Max current, may not be enough with the motors supplied with our kit.

28. thomanie

thomanie New
    Builder

@Giarc:
    Shallow as 0.5mm/pass still don't make a difference, at as low as 150mm feedrate.

@Ryan Lock:
    Good tip - thanks. I'll try some DRV8825 drivers (same as CNC xPro v3). Hard to see that the additional 0.5A (@2.5A), over the A4988s 2A should make all the difference - but surely willing to try. Apart from this minor hickup - the kit is *excellent*, and very easy to build and set up!

While I await new drivers I'll try another PSU simply to rule that part completely out. Same for some other software.

T

PS: I used some suitably sized cowbar/rollcage/bumper floodlight-fixtures to mount the router to the Z-axis. They came with a squared off bracket and clamps fitting the dia of my router perfectly. Call it a variation over the hose-clamp mount originally shared.

29. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I had the DRV8825s and I switched to the DQ542MAs. I noticed a difference because not only did I get an increase in available amperage, but I was able to turn up the voltage, as well. Athough, if you are using a 24 V power supply, the increased voltage won't matter to you. That, and the DRV8825s can handle 36 volts so that could be increased as well vs the A4988s.

30. Fatih Cigel

Builder

thx for the z-axis-limit/homing placement =)
    was going to do something more "complicated"...
    this saves me much time