Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds LEAD CNC

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by MaryD, Nov 20, 2018.

1. jamin35008

jamin35008 Well-Known
    Builder

I would be very interested in hearing your results!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Just printing version 2 - version 1 didn't quite work.
    Alex:(

3. jamin35008

jamin35008 Well-Known
    Builder

What is the idea your shooting for Alex? Is it like a seat for the router that would fit into the router mount?

4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

No - a plate that clamps to the Z axis C-beam with screws passing through it to press on the underside of the router mount.
    A bit like this (if it works)
    Tramming aid 2 v2.png
    Alex

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Wouldnt that square it up with the rail, instead of the bed? (You want to tram to bed)

6. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

The idea is to hold the router mount in position while you tighten the fixing screws after you have trammed it. And possibly provide a micro-adjustment while tramming.
    Alex.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Cool, will wait for the final result :) hehe

Alex Chambers likes this.
  8. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

If it works I suspect an aluminium version might be more durable!
    Alex.:D

9. jamin35008

jamin35008 Well-Known
    Builder

When tramming are you guys loosing up the screws by the yellow arrows or something in the back by the red arrows. I have the cnc4newbies Z so there isn't anything I can adjust in the back and to bad Alex's tramming mount wouldn't work for me :(

Attached Files:

10. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I will be loosening the screws holding the router mount to the Z axis - can't see from your pic how that works with your set up - on my workbee the router mount is held to the Z C-beam with angle brackets.
    Alex.

jamin35008 likes this.
  11. Peter Van Der Walt

Before changing the router mount in respect of the Z axis... first check that your Z axis is tram with the X and Y. In your setup as the router mount is perfectly flush with the plate, it "shouldn't" be out of square much.

Remember the tramming can be out elsewhere too. Twist in the X beam when you tigtened it to the Y plates? etc

12. jamin35008

jamin35008 Well-Known
    Builder

The newbies Z attaches with two screws through back of the newbies plate and into the router mount so I cant make adjustments there. My only option is to tram by loosing the front of the mount.

I would have to check out if this is even possible with my set up but was wondering if adding another router mount would be beneficial? Both in rigidness and tramming?
    Extra Strong Double Router Mount

13. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Correct (as always) - my gadget is only for the final check on the router mount to Z axis alignment as I couldn't see how - on the workbee - you could accurately adjust this bit without at least three hands!
    Alex.:D:D

14. jamin35008

jamin35008 Well-Known
    Builder

Peter, what is the best way of checking that the Z is in tram with X/Y?

15. Peter Van Der Walt

Well, not sure with the 3rd party z axis... but i'd use something like a large square, and hold it up against the Z plate, then eye that its other edge is parallel to the tops of the Y and X rails.

of course you may want to first "square your Square" (; (PS Wesley deserves subscribe!)

ian McFadden and jamin35008 like this.
  16. jamin35008

jamin35008 Well-Known
    Builder

Wow, that's slick! I've never seen that before. Learn something new everyday! Thanks for sharing that.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  17. gregers05

gregers05 Well-Known
    Builder

sounds interesting. Definitely interested if it works out! Now if people would quit using our 3d printers at work for work things...

18. gregers05

gregers05 Well-Known
    Builder

I dont think our cnc4newbies Z has another set of threaded holes to be able to add another mount like that. I am at work though, so I cannot confirm at the moment.

19. jamin35008

jamin35008 Well-Known
    Builder

Also at work. I was thinking if the double wide gantry plate could mount somehow to the cnc4newbies then the double router mount to the plate....maybe it would be possible?
    C-Beam® Gantry Plate - Double Wide

20. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Concept worked - gadget didn't work well enough - plastic not rigid enough.
    See;
    Tramming aid
    Alex.

21. jamin35008

jamin35008 Well-Known
    Builder

Yesterday I ran a test of clock file I’m working on for my Dad. I bought the clock face file off of ETSY. In certain parts its giving me really crappy looking Roman Numerals and what appears to be two tool paths even though I double checked the file in Vcarve and its only one. I’m carving with a 60* vbit.

I even tried creating my own vectors to see if it was the file but it happened with the circles and numbers I created in Vcarve. What’s weird is it only happens within certain numbers and in certain parts of the circles. It’s not happening in every carve. Thinking that it was the machine I checked that it was calibrated X,Y and Z and I trammed it the best I could.

The clock I’m making is going to have a road map carved in the middle and I tested that file right before doing this and it turned out great. I test that cut with both a 20* and 30* engraving bit.

I don’t know what the problem is….:( The only thing I didn’t have time to do is try a newer bit. Anyone come across anything like this?

The photo with the Roman Numeral III is one of the cuts that looks okay.

Edit: Someone on Facebook suggested that it looks like backlash. I will be checking my Y screws when I get home to see if either one is loose. I mentioned to him that its possible that what it is because the bad carving is happening when there is more travel in the Y direction. Like on numbers 5,6,7,11,12,1. I will update when I get home and can see if this might be the correction.

Attached Files:

#561 jamin35008, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  22. jamin35008

jamin35008 Well-Known
    Builder

Well, I found out what was wrong last night. One of the Y screws lock collar was semi loose causing the slip/backlash when the carving was relying more on the Y axis.

Can I add blue lock tight or something similar to the small screw on the collar to help prevent it from loosening again?

Photo is same file as before but after tightening.

Attached Files:

23. Peter Van Der Walt

Yes, Locktite anything that shouldnt move :)

jamin35008 likes this.
  24. gregers05

gregers05 Well-Known
    Builder

I actually may have a simple solution for tramming. Going to model it up when I get a chance and post it here.

sharmstr likes this.
  25. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Post it in resources if it works @gregers05 - we get lots of queries about tramming.
    Alex :thumbsup:

sharmstr likes this.
  26. gregers05

gregers05 Well-Known
    Builder

Would something like this work? 3D printed tube that rests on the waste board and the router would rest on top of the tube.

upload_2019-6-18_13-19-9.png upload_2019-6-18_13-20-16.png

27. Peter Van Der Walt

Might be better to start a thread about tramming :) as this is the Lead Machine support thread and thats becoming a bit generic (;

One note before we set off on a new thread: That will only work if your bed is tram to your XY rails which it might not be. Watch

28. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Agreed :)
    The thread below has turned into a discussion on tramming and further posts there will be welcome.
    Alex :thumbsup:

Tramming aid

29. jbhurst

jbhurst New
    Builder

Thanks! This turned out to be correct.

The machines vibration had loosened some of the lock collars and they had slid back from the end stops. I also tightened the drive couplers. After that, backlash was reduced to about .003" - .004", which works for some applications, but is still more than I'd like.

Does anyone have more backlash pointers or resources to read up on?

I have some optical encoders that came off an old machine at work that I was considering trying to implement, but I think that would require a change in controller, firmware, and UI software unless there is some grbl magic I haven't found yet. Does anyone have experience with encoders that could point me in the right direction to learn more?

Finally, I saw some tools out there that attempt to pre-process G-Code for backlash comp. Does anyone have experience with those or one they'd recommend?

sharmstr likes this.
  30. Peter Van Der Walt

Grbl does not support encoders, so that would be quite an undertaking.
    Software compensation for backlash, i have yet to see one that works well, as backlash tends to be a little random.

But almost always, backlash can be eliminated with just a little more checking.

Some examples:

Loosen the end plates just a little (1/4-1/2 a turn), loosen and set stop collars again, then tighten the endplate again, just to add that little extra compression to preload the bearing

Wheels: as a long term consumable, will need adjustment every now and then. Not too tight, or you can create flatspots on the wheel that also show up on the cut. Not too loose, or you get backlash

Anti backlash nuts: adjust occasionally, make sure they are tight against the plate, not moving

Router mount: check for play in any direction

Tramming: a skew spindle can produce cuts thats off size as it recuts on the 'bevel' produced by an off square endmill

sharmstr, jbhurst and Alex Chambers like this.