Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds LEAD CNC Machine 1515 (60" x 60")

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by OpenBuilds, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I edited a couple things and added to it

2. Oun Hasan

Oun Hasan New
    Builder

that great Giarc thanks again but as i think any machine should have its max limits for feed

3. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

If you are buying a machine that is factory built and they are all the same, I would agree. But these are built by individuals and not all are built the same. If you put a 2.2 KW water cooled spindle on it, it would not be able to have the same acceleration and top speed as one that someone put an air-cooled 800 watt spindle. If you built this with stock OpenBuilds parts and used a trim router like a Makita or DeWalt, there is a profile with acceleration and maximum feed rates in OpenBuilds Control. However, those may be on the conservative side because they have to figure in that some people will add heavier items to it.

Start with their stock grbl settings, then slowly increase the speed until it stalls. Then dial it back 20%.

Rick 2.0 and Oun Hasan like this.
  4. Menver

Menver New
    Builder

Hi! I'm new to all this, and I have built a Lead 1515 using parts I already had and purchasing the ones I didn't. I have a question regarding the posibility of working on a full half sheet of plywood. How could I do that if the working area on the X axis is only 1170mm and the sheet of plywood is 1220mm? How could I use for example the xyz probe plus with this?. Thank you so much. Im currently wiring all, I will use a blackbox of course. Thanks!

5. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

First you need to figure out what space you loose no matter what you try.

125 mm for the x gantry.

40mm x 2 for the y axis cbeams.

At minimum, 20 mm x 2 for the angled blocks that assist in joining the x axis to the uprights of the y.

Another 20mm x 2 for those uprights

So, 125+80+40+40 = 285

That leaves you with 1215mm

However, I do not have a Lead 1515 in front of me so there may be other things that reduce the area.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Checkout the video "OpenBuilds LEAD 1515 - Half Sheet - Flame Chair Project" below

7. Oun Hasan

Oun Hasan New
    Builder

hi

i`m facing problem with Interface touch box its restarting several times while the router is running
    i read tht is the wiring should be mounted and secured and i double checked every wire, every thing is connected and secured
    by the way i was using the machine over than 1 month with no issues
    if any one know the solution for this issue please advise
    thanks

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Check the pins inside the connectors, a hard pull on the cable, can dislodge the pins from the housing - just push them back in, alternatively, the cable may have gotten damaged, you can check if the crimps are still solid, no wires broken off - replacement cables may be available for sale from http://support.openbuilds.com/support/home on request

9. Oun Hasan

Oun Hasan New
    Builder

hello Peter i will try
    thanks for your help

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  10. Radams

Radams New
    Builder

Wouldn't you also need wiring extensions since so many components are on that gantry?

11. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team

Hi Radams,
    As I recall there should be enough extra wire from the initial build that we normally coil up in the back that will allow for extra needed for the mod, but you are correct if you need more you can always use the Xtension Wire System to add more if need be.

12. Radams

Radams New
    Builder

I guess my wires were not the correct length then, I didn't measure when I installed to ensure they were correct lengths...lol. some of mine had extra bundle but everything on that gantry for the high z mod would need extra wire. Guess I will look at then when I decide to order parts for high z. Thanks.

13. MTNMAN702

MTNMAN702 New
    Builder

I'm looking to start my table build for my Lead 1515 before I can build the machine itself. Those who have built the 1515, could you tell me what the over-all dimensions are, including the stand outs of the motors. I am building a roll-top table like the Fisher's Shop Mobile Assembly table found on Youtube. But, I need to make it larger to accommodate the Lead 1515. And I need the entire machine to fit inside the side walls so that it can flip properly. And yes. I know its going to be heavy.

14. Peter Van Der Walt

Adding 200mm all around should give you clearance for the protruding motors, etc. So 1700x1700 approx. Otherwise, grab the CAD model from the 1515 Build page, to check it in CAD against your planned table.

15. MTNMAN702

MTNMAN702 New
    Builder

I went to the file and document tab. One document is for the High Z mod and the second one won't open for me. Do you have a link to the CAD document you are referring to? I even searched the grabcad files and nothing came up.

Thanks

16. Peter Van Der Walt

Files and drawings tab from OpenBuilds LEAD CNC Machine 1515 (60" x 60") has a Sketchup File you can open in Sketchup Make 2017 from Downloading older versions | SketchUp Help or any other CAD that opens Sketchup files (designspark, fusion360, etc)

17. AJAY KUMAR SRIVASTAVA

Builder

I HAD PURCHASED SPAM LEADSCREW 1515 AND COMPLETED MECHENICAL BUILT. AFTER CONNECTING THE MOTORES OF X Y AND Z THROUGH STB5100 AND TB6600-4A I RUN THE DRUFEL. IT GOT CONNECTED. WHIL I MADE THE X Y AND Z AXIS MOVED SEPERATELY ONE AXIS AT A TIME IT MADE VERY LOUD SCREECHING NOISE. IT FELT THAT METAL IS BEING RUBBING ON METAL. I CHECKED THE WHEELS THEY WERE NOT OVERTIGHT. I CHECKED THE LEADSCREW ITS TENSION FELT MODERATE. I DID NOT USED ANY LUBRICANT ON acme NUT BLOCK YET. CAN YOU SUGGEST WHAT TO CHECK AND HOW TO REDUCE NOISE OF ALL AXISES.

18. Peter Van Der Walt

Contact the vendor your purchased it from for tech support please. Or request a refund and get a genuine machine from openbuildspartstore.com or one of our official resellers - better quality, easier setup, videos, documentation, tech support and warranties included :)

19. AJAY KUMAR SRIVASTAVA

Builder

THANKS FOR QUICK REPLY AND SUGESTIONS

20. Jonathan Pace

Builder

Hi All,

Does anyone know the maximum recommended spindle weight and size for it open bills 1515 lead machine?

21. Peter Van Der Walt

We recommend the RoutER11 CNC Kit or DeWALT DWP611 Compact Router from our store. If you have to use a VFD based spindle, the 0.8kw/1,5kw 65mm small-body spindles are a good bet. See How to calculate V-Slot® deflection - heavier spindles cause deflection and for high horse power spindles, you also have to resist the cutting forces to prevent chatter

22. Jonathan Pace

Builder

Thanks for the quick response I ordered my openbuilds kit with the Dewalt router but I am very tempted to use my old 1.5kw spindle that I had on a previous machine The 1.5kw spindle weighs 15 pounds.

23. Jonathan Pace

Builder

ok, last question for the week.

My 1515 Kit was short a bunch of Precision Shims. I called my local nut and bolts store and they have M5 washers in stock at 10mm but they said the thickness can range from 1 to 1.5 mm.
    are these acceptable, or should I just wait the 5 days from openbuilds to ship me precision shims?

24. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

The washers will probably have been stamped, and most likely will not be flat - wait for the right thing.
    Alex.

25. Brian Hagen

Builder

In the parts list is says 8 motor mount plates are needed. I only see 6 used in the video as the z axis uses end mount plates. Also, do you thing the x and y axis can use the end mount plates rather than the motor mount plates on the side without the motor?

26. Peter Van Der Walt

Unfortunately not, the thinner Motor Mount plates are needed on that side too, for the stack-up to fit on the leadscrew - if you were using the thicker End Mounts, you'd need longer leadscrews as well, or you won't have enough space for the tensioning nut

27. MTNMAN702

MTNMAN702 New
    Builder

Hello,
    I read threw this post and didn't see this issue come up.
    I have built the Lead 1515 and during testing, while jogging the axis' around, the X-axis would not move more than about a quarter of an inch before it stopped. It seamed to just jam up. And although the motor kept humming as though it was engaged, it stopped spinning. But, did not click like it would if it skipped a step. Hope that makes sense.
    Three potential issues issues I can think of:
    1) During the build, I did have a problem with the Z-gantry while attempting to set tension of the wheels on the X-beam. One set of the wheels just didn't seem to want to tighten up when adjusting the eccentric spacer. Almost as though I had a bad eccentric spacer. I decided to keep going with the build since my main purpose at the time was to get the over-all outside dimensions in order to design my flip-top table. Figuring I could fix it later.
    2) Also when installing the X-axis lead screw it got super tight while threading it through the two nut blocks.
    3) The two Z- risers were about 3/8" out of plum due to the needed over hang of the two C-beams. This issue was an easy fix and is done.

I just wanted to throw this out to you all, before tearing it apart to see if there might be an easy fix I'm not thinking of.

Thanks in advance.

28. Peter Van Der Walt

If it stalled with a high-pitched whine it could be that a) mechanical binding caused stall or b) incorrect Grbl parameters (too high acceleration or max rate values) - did you load our profile?
    Or c) wiring (coil pairs incorrect, or only 3 of the 4 wires making contact) : See docs:blackbox:faq-identify-motor-coils [OpenBuilds Documentation]

29. MTNMAN702

MTNMAN702 New
    Builder

It didn't make a high pitched wine. And yes, I loaded your 1515 settings. Maybe I'll try to reload those setting just in case I changes something without realizing it. I'll double check the wiring just to confirm. That always a possibility. But, I was careful not to cross. I did have to trim all wires back a touch because, as an electrician, it made my OCD present itself a little to see a small bit of wire exposed outside the connector. Although it probably wasn't enough to really matter much. I just didn't want anything that could potentially cause an arc between wires.
    I'll try to post a video later if I can. I believe it is mechanical binding. I just need to find what is doing it.

30. Brian Hagen

Builder

I have my lead 1515 all set up and wired with a black box and interface. I have everything wired correctly but the y2 motor when connected to the y2 insertion of the black box the motor spindle just vibrates rapidly back and forth. If I swap the motor with a working one it works fine. If I plug anything into the y2 insertion of the black box it has the same symptoms. I’m not sure what to do to debug this. It appears to be a black box problem but I don’t know if the interface is not sending the right info.