Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds LEAD CNC Machine 1515 (60" x 60")

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by OpenBuilds, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Rhett E

Rhett E Well-Known
    Builder

I did a modified high Z with a sheet of .75 mdf as the base spoilboard along with strips of .75 mdf and T-Tracks. I'll get a picture, my explanation is bad.

2. Brian Terreau

Builder

I think I understand what you did, I've seen some similar things on larger machines - so you are losing 1" of Z total between the. 75" base spoiler board vs the .5" they use, and another. 75" with an upper layer with t track in between strips, correct? Was the modified high Z an option on the machine you chose? Like with a taller gantry? How are you mounting the strips in between the t track to the spoiler board beneath?

3. Rhett E

Rhett E Well-Known
    Builder

There are t-nuts on the bottom base so I can just mount new strips of spoilboard from the top. I did have to move the furthest outside braces inwards about .25 so a full sheet would fit but it was worth it. I took the high Z mounts and cut them to 15". Gives about an 1" more than stock when it's all said and done.

IMG_3549.JPG

IMG_3547.JPG

Attached Files:

#63 Rhett E, Nov 24, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  4. Rhett E

Rhett E Well-Known
    Builder

I ordered the high Z mod but cut it slightly shorter, so I gained additional Z. The full z mod was too high for me.

5. Brian Terreau

Builder

Very interesting Rhett. I was just thinking about T nuts on the underside, but was trying to figure out how I would mount them. I really like your setup!

6. Mark Fletcher

Builder

Can this design handle a water cooled spindle? 2.5kw? I am just a week old in the CNC world and I am buying this one piece at a time.
    So while I am buying parts I am focused on spindle vs router, software, controls, motors. Any help would be greatly appreciated. You can email me as well [email protected]

thanks guys!!

7. jnsbanman

jnsbanman Well-Known
    Builder

I just watched a video on YouTube that a young guy saying that there was a plasma cutter kit in the works from open builds. Has anyone seen anything like that? It looked very much like this machine

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  8. Sonicboom

Sonicboom New
    Builder

Hello, so I received my 1515 last Friday, built a bench Saturday, unboxed the beast Sunday and laid everything out on the bench and started my build. Most of Sunday and Monday was spent pausing, rewinding and fast forwarding the build videos which I must say can use a bit of tweaking to maybe show what the part should look like once connected as well as better lighting when highlighting a spot on a black piece of aluminum. Also dump the part about feeding the wires through the guide chain and add the one were the chain is popped open and the wires are lid in...what a headache that was...only to find out the router still had to be fed through it...

Either way I managed to tweak everything including the c beam after it misaligned because the video said, "well tighten those later"..lol

Now I am at the hello world first cut and I continue to get an error about cut larger than machine area so I check the grbl settings and apparently the maximum x y and z seem to be for a smaller machine?

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Replied to your other post about this issue in your other thread.

Sonicboom likes this.
  10. jnsbanman

jnsbanman Well-Known
    Builder

Will this be offered in a 1510 size (60x40)?

11. Rhett E

Rhett E Well-Known
    Builder

I'll save you a migraine for later. Take that router power cable back out of that drag chain. You'll get all kinds of EMI, or at least I did. OB did the same in later videos.

12. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

To prevent just that I used on my spindle a shielded cable with metal mesh that I grounded on the supply side only! I have the cable running in the drag chain with no problems.

Unfortunately I had to buy that wire in China since I couldn't find it here in Canada. I couldn't believe that the electrical wholesaler didn't have that available.

13. Sonicboom

Sonicboom New
    Builder

Thank you! interesting, i see they may have added an emi filter to the power line, mine has one but if i start having issues i can add another 20x20 and run a separate chain. right now i have a $3,000 paper weight...lol

#73 Sonicboom, Dec 23, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  14. Sonicboom

Sonicboom New
    Builder

it stops here, after z move up 5.06mm and triggers the limit switch even though it has just been homed.
    G0 Z7; move to z-safe height
    G0 F1000 X92.4876 Y104.6196

serial console output
    [10:45:26] [ G1 F700 Z-1.0000 ] error:9
    [10:45:27] [ ] Grbl 1.1g ['$' for help]
    [10:45:27] [ ] [MSG:Check Limits]
    [10:45:27] [ ] [MSG:'$H'|'$X' to unlock]
    [10:45:27] [ ] [MSG:Caution: Unlocked]
    [10:45:28] [ JOB COMPLETE ] Job completed in 00h 00m 03.2s

i have also for some reason have had to select invert X Y and Z directions even though i have gone over the wiring 10 times and verified my color combos are correct

#74 Sonicboom, Dec 23, 2020
  15. Peter Van Der Walt

Did it the switch, or was is false trigger (caused by EMI)

16. Sonicboom

Sonicboom New
    Builder

when i run job i hear the blackbox click and then get the message, can't be emi as i have not even plugged the router in for the first time, blackbox sounds like a relay clicking. then error. so it seems like it is simply going through the code and saying nope, settings are going to cause an issue. now if i run check job, it draws a square with no issue

17. Peter Van Der Walt

Remove the relay jumper: docs:blackbox:jumper-relay [OpenBuilds Documentation]

If the Alarm is "hard limit hit" then no, not settings. Something put a limits hit signal into the limit switch input. Bad wiring, emi, faulty switch, etc or it actually did hit a switch one one of the axes (watch closely)

Did you remember to SetZero where the stock origin is

18. Sonicboom

Sonicboom New
    Builder

homed and set zero even though they all came back to zero, if someone wan't to call me it might be easier and if these systems are so vulnerable to emi would it be possible to use cat 5 or 6 ethernet since it is already shielded?

#78 Sonicboom, Dec 23, 2020
  19. Peter Van Der Walt

Not
    Not particularly.

Disable Hard Limits for now, get some experience under the belt then try this advanced feature at some later stage again. Only enable homing and soft limits

20. Sonicboom

Sonicboom New
    Builder

oh i had done this day before yesterday same issue, just did it again to verify and same issue.

does it matter how far the limit switch is? the one for the X axis is about 4 inches from the spindle

#80 Sonicboom, Dec 23, 2020
  21. Peter Van Der Walt

Bit broad here. Your issues was Hard limit related earlier

So with Limits disabled, it is impossible to have the same error. Try again. Work methodologically. Disable hard limits. Remember to save and reset. Rehome machine. Setzero. Run the job

Also, read the Grbl Wiki tonight for bedtime

Did you work along with the Wiring video:
    We are all along assuming your machine matches the Build instructions of course

#81 Peter Van Der Walt, Dec 23, 2020
  22. Sonicboom

Sonicboom New
    Builder

impossible yes but here is the code
    [12:41:42] [ G0 Z0 ] error:9

[12:41:42] [ ] error: 9 - G-code locked out during alarm or jog state [ G1 F700 Z-1.0000 ]<hr>This error may just be a symptom of an earlier event:<br> ALARM: 2 - G-code motion target exceeds machine travel. Machine position safely retained. Alarm may be unlocked.

[12:41:42] [ ERROR ] error: 9 - G-code locked out during alarm or jog state [ G1 F700 Z-1.0000 ]

This error may just be a symptom of an earlier event:
    ALARM: 2 - G-code motion target exceeds machine travel. Machine position safely retained. Alarm may be unlocked.
    [12:41:42] [ G1 F700 Z-1.0000 ] error:9

[12:41:46] [ ] Grbl 1.1g ['$' for help]

[12:41:46] [ ] [MSG:'$H'|'$X' to unlock]

[12:41:46] [ JOB COMPLETE ] Job completed in 00h 00m 06.8s

yes i went according to the video..

#82 Sonicboom, Dec 23, 2020
  23. Peter Van Der Walt

Uhm, well, NO :)

This time your new error is "G-code motion target exceeds machine travel" - NOTHING related to Hard Limits.

This means, the job you loaded is larger than the machine workable area as specified in $130-132 in Grbl Settings: See gnea/grbl

So either those values are wrong, your homing setup is wrong (switches in wrong place, or Homing Dir settings wrong) or the JOB is configured wrong (wrong offset, wrong zero point, wrong size of the job itself, etc)

Best advice I have to you at the moment is to slow down and really read those error messages. Not all of them are the same: See gnea/grbl and gnea/grbl as well

24. Sonicboom

Sonicboom New
    Builder

but Peter, this is the hello World pop the CNC cherry job created by openbuilds, not mine...lol i did it step by step from the video, download Control software, select your system, pull down hello world, run job. did i miss a step where i had to make additional changes to the profile i pulled down?

25. Peter Van Der Walt

Hello World job = good
    Machine profile = good
    How you assembled the machine, is switches in the correct locations, did you cross any wires? = unknown (if not built as the Build Video did, then there are differences in your setup: for which you either have to change some settings to adapt to the differences you introduced, or, rebuild the machine correctly if it is not built, wired, switches installed, etc exactly as per our videos)
    Job setup: = unknown (did you zero in the correct spot (bottom left, on top of the stock), checked that the stock is thin enough to fit under the Z axis with sufficient clearance before it will hit the switch - for all we know you have a 3 inch thick piece of stock under there and there is literally no space for the Z axis to move around in - it has to move 7mm above the surface of the material too for Z-safe moves in the Hello World job , etc) = unknowns

Other issues is you aren't really answering our questions, like:

You still havent told us what happens when Z moves up - does it run into the switch, or not. so we can determine, like, are you simply loading stock thats too thick? Or if it wasn't near a switch we go down the EMI/wiring options routes. Hard to guess without answers my friend :)

As mentioned above - did you introduce any differences from what the machine should be - to match the profile

You add confusion to the issue, because earlier you talk about hitting the Z axis switch, now you bring in X? It's all over the show - very hard to follow.

1) Turn off hard limits for now, also turn off Soft Limits (to get right of error ALARM: 2 - G-code motion target exceeds machine travel.) - right now those are too advanced for you, because honestly you need some machine time and experience first. With those two disabled - homing on its own sets G53 which you might need for some CAM's output (fusion, etc) - leave the Limits until you understand things better, got some more testing done, etc.
    2) Rewatch the Wiring video linked above - see if you have the switches in the right locations, make sure you wired the other ends to the correct ports (not wired Z switch to X input port for example)
    3) Run some jobs JUST with SetZero - there's a long time ahead to learn homing, repeating offsets, soft limits, hard limits and other advanced concepts

26. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team

Its true! no eta as of yet but you can get a sneak peek and jump on the list to be in the know ;)
    OpenBuilds Plasma

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  27. Sonicboom

Sonicboom New
    Builder

i turned off BOTH hard and soft limits and now the job did in fact run but now i have a broken limit switch... guess i have to take the good with the bad.

28. Peter Van Der Walt

Shall I assume this answers the unanswered question I've asked 3x now :)

I assume then, "YES - it does move up and hits the switch" is the answer - and that broke it?

So.... How thick is the stock you were loading?

LEAD 1515 has a +-60mm depth of cut.
    Hello World doesn't go deeper than 3mm into the material, and has a 7mm clearance mode height. 60-10=50mm of allowed thickness for stock
    So to hit the switch you either have like 52mm thick stock, or you have the switch in the wrong place, or some other mechanical build aspect is incorrect (like mounting the router too low, etc)

29. Sonicboom

Sonicboom New
    Builder

I can't help but laugh out loud at this, There is No stock, There is NO wasteboard, hell the router is not even plugged in, i don't even have bits installed...LOL

Attached Files:

#89 Sonicboom, Dec 23, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2020
  30. Peter Van Der Walt

Well there's your problem!: See minute 6:16 to 9:33 of the Hello World video:

Almost 3 minutes of video time dedicated to jogging the machine out of home, and onto Stock Origin. You totally skipped over that - and went straight to the RUN button (;

See in the video how the Z axis gets jogged down, then Zero set. You never jogged down, you set Zero all the way up there, and it has to do moves upward from Zero (top surface of stock + clearance moves above it) - causing the crashes... Also causing the Alarm:2 message, soft limits told you cannot move up anymore

Pays to follow along exactly right (;

When we asked:

Wouldn't that have been a good time to say, no I am not doing that, I am skipping the jogging and the zeroing entirely:) ?

Guess the broken switch can count as Schoolfees (;

#90 Peter Van Der Walt, Dec 23, 2020
    Giarc likes this.