Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Openbuilds Lead 1515 versus Onefinity CNC

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by JDCNC, May 2, 2021.

1. JDCNC

JDCNC New
    Builder

Hi Openbuilds forum,

I'm looking to purchase my first CNC machine and am debating between the Openbuilds Lead 1515 and Onefinity CNC Woodworker. I suppose a better comparison would be the Openbuilds 1010 because they're nearly identical in cutting area dimensions but I'm interested in the larger cutting area of the 1515.

Cutting Area Specifications
    Onefinity CNC: 32.25 x 32.25 x 5.25
    Lead 1010: 29 x 32 x 4 (with Z mod kit 8")
    Lead 1515: 46 x 49 x 2 (with longer C rails 8")

I will be cutting/shaping woods and plastics. I’d like to buy the 1515 but with the ability to cut deeper materials. The 1515 is much larger than the Onefinity but I didn’t want to sacrifice on rigidity when cutting. I will primarily use the machine to shape 16” x 36” x 6” thick pine/poplar/plywood slabs. Is the 1515 machine rigid enough not to flex? I understand cutting bits and feed-rate are significant parameters.

#1 JDCNC, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
  2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

We are partial of course. But LEAD1515 all the way
    - totally capable of your needs
    - entirely modular system with off the shelf OpenBuilds standard components makes for endless modification abilities if your needs are such that later on you do find you want to change something
    - being able to load a 4ft wide sheet is a dream

3. John Wylie

Builder

If you enjoy making and modifying then openbuilds kits are good for learning, like Peter said you can then decide if you need to beef up the rigidity and start sourcing linear rails, ball screws, milling reinforcement plates if you are getting into milling metals more often, it's all possible. Onefinity looks nice, looks pretty rigid with linear guides and ball screws,, probably less assembly involved, long lead time to buy one at the moment so you might be quicker at getting to work with the kits.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

If I look at the pictures correctly though, its unsupported round bar rails? Wondering how that compares to a C-Beam - in a past life I built a series of similar designs and we saw a lot of roll between the two unsupported rails

Ryan Brain likes this.
  5. Nemanja Tacic

Builder

Hmmm...tough choice...Onefinity is great, you can assebly one in 15mins and you ready to go....it's pretty rigid and pretty fast, but it's one size only and not modular...I think Onefinity is for people who don't want to learn how everything works, but just want to make something with it out of box.
    Lead 1515 is more modular...you will need much more time to assemble one, but during that process you will learn how everything works...and also, you will have bigger machine. :)

6. Ryan Brain

Builder

I assembled my lead1515 in 2 days approximately 14 hours. I have not had any problems at all. I followed the videos and not one left over nut! I think it is beneficial to the user to understand how the CNC is assembled for possible future problem solving.
    I have challenged several OI and Shapeoko users to a friendly match off without any luck.
    I have no problem at all recommending a lead machine for both professional and personal projects.

7. Kenny Tucker

Builder

I too am trying to decide between the Onefinity and Openbuild machines. One of the big things that I see is with the Onefinity it looks like everything is an add on. That pushes the cost up a ways. Both look like good machines but wonder which is the best bang for the buck.

8. Rink

Rink Well-Known
    Builder

I just looked at the Onefinity website.

Anyway, I’m no engineer, but IMHO…no way those hollow rails are as rigid as as a C beam. Especially on the X axis, which absorbs the pressure of plunging into material. To me, those rails are gonna flex under any kind of pressure.

My Pianha has two round rails for the Z axis with a range of only 12”…so the two round rails are way shorter than the Onefinity you’re looking at. Therefore, they should be much stiffer. My rails flex noticeably on EVERY plunge. And, sometimes flex visibly in motion along the Y axis. And I don’t typically push it very hard.

I dont (yet) own an OpenBuilds C-beam based machine, but that’s my two cents on the round rails. Flex, flex, flex!!

thx, rink.

9. Dave Carlton

Builder

The round rails on the Onefinity X50 CNC machine have a maximum strength of 10,000 N or 2,250 lbs.

10. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

That is before the fail catastrophically. How soon before they flex?

11. Dave Carlton

Builder

What I found was the tubes are 303 stainless steel ~1300mm long, 50mm diameter, 5mm thick.

F = (3*P*(1300^2))/(4*50*(5^2))

Thus, the force required is 3P Newtons.

1 Newton is equivalent to 1 kg m/s2 so 3P Newtons is 3 x 1 x 10^12 kg m/s2 which is equivalent to 3 x 10^12 Newtons of force.

I would say it is fairly rigid.

#11 Dave Carlton, Feb 25, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2023