Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds Control working inconsistently on Mac

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by AXIS89, May 16, 2020.

1. AXIS89

AXIS89 New
    Builder

Ive recently got the X and Y axis of my router build hooked up to my BlackBox and I am controlling it using Openbuilds Control software. I seem to have very inconsistent results when connecting to the controller as well as while using the software. at least 50% of the time it fails to connect and give me an error about the drivers. Usually if I restart the software a couple of times it will finally connect and output all of the settings.
    The next problem I have is that the positioning values dont always change from zero when I jog the X or Y. I am able to jog just fine but no Gcode will run. It usually just starts the code and sits idle but sometimes it will move to a random spot (possibly 0,0).
    The few times where I have been able to run my Gcode correctly the position values also update as a jog the machine. Unfortunately my Windows PC isn't very portable so I haven't had a chance to try it out with a Windows system but has anyone experienced similar issues? Are there drivers I should consider reinstalling to help with this problem?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

If you'd like, lets play the elimination game (is it software, a wiring issue, mac FTDI drivers, or EMI)
    - Control to blame? Try an alternative Grbl host, for Mac the options are a lot less that windows sadly, so try cncjs/cncjs
    - Wiring issue: incorrectly wired limits and other accesories can short V+ to GND. Run a couple connection attempt with JUST the USB cable attached. If it consistently connects without issue, its a wiring problem (compare to docs.openbuilds.com)
    - Is the Mac FTDI drivers an issue? Try a windows PC, with everything else kept the same)
    - EMI? - corrupted serial data and false limit triggers are signs of EMI - space router power cable, motor cable and other EMI sources away from USB and other low voltage wiring