Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds CONTROL Software

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Mark Carew, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

We also have a Menu item right there that uses G53 (Z high). User just has to pick the appropriate one (99% of our userbase does NOT use raised clamps. Screws to spoilboard, tape and CA glue, and side-cam clamps are way more popular)

upload_2023-3-7_18-25-54.png

#2281 Peter Van Der Walt, Mar 6, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
    Giarc likes this.
  2. Chris Haskins

Builder

Thanks Peter.
    I have a hobby project and using the motion controller for a sensor payload rather than a cutter. I'm excited that this is a opensource project and happy to support! Im poking around the github, again to try and wrap my head around the software as much as possible.
    I'm excited to see there is some work going on with tool changes and a tool table with length offsets and tool diameter radius compensation. I did do a bit of searching grbl and it looks like does have GCODE for features in the main git from what I could tell. I really think these features are going to be a huge value add to the OpenBuilds suite and really help me further on my project.
    I will have to look around harder to see where some of the beta CONTROL can be downloaded.

on another point, I will keep looking but perhaps you could help. Im trying to locate some info or a file I could look at with the canned cycles, or the macros for example the probe cycle. Curious what variables are being assigned during the macro.
    I wanted to try and use / modify the probe macro for surface probing on the Z that I could call out in a full GCODE file.

Thanks
    Chris

3. Peter Van Der Walt

See Getting started with Javascript Macros in CONTROL / Library of Macros created by the community
    Grbl doesn't support canned cycles natively, but in your own UI you can build whatever you need.

Chris Haskins likes this.
  4. Durahl

Durahl New
    Builder

This is VERY MUCH a Control problem - It is LITERALLY in the Tool Tip:
    [​IMG]
    GoToZero (Work Coord) (G0 Z5, G0 X0 Y0, G0 Z0 )

Sorry to say this but no one cares about your 0% of work-holding methods. I too occasionally TapeSuperglue and/or Nailgun my Stock to the Wasteboard but whenever I don't it's clamps like these like what most ppl will use and they're not built for a Work Zero of Z5.

And obviously I'll have to immediately abandon that built in Work Zero Macro for a proper one, but I really shouldn't have to because no matter how you try to defend it it's a terrible practice to move Z DOWN before you move X&Y in order to return to a Work Zero.
    [​IMG]

5. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

The second option in the drop down does exactly what you want. Raises Z to clearance height (using machine coordinates). Moves to WORK X0Y0. Lowers to WORK Z0.

#2285 sharmstr, Mar 7, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  6. Peter Van Der Walt

CONTROL v1.0.359 released: OpenBuilds Software: OpenBuilds CONTROL and OpenBuilds CAM

1) Fixed bug that prevented CONTROL from running on MacOS / Linux

2) Macros got a little overhaul:
    • Added right click menu to Macros button (replacing the little gear icon Edit/Delete function the Macro buttons had before)
    • Added ability to Sort Macro buttons by moving them left/right (NEW)
    • Deleting, Editing moved to the new right-click Menu (more intuitive)
    • Added Export Macro option: To Backup or Share your custom Macros (NEW)
    • Added Import JSON Macro button to import / restore Macros that was shared/backed up using the new Export menu item above (NEW)

upload_2023-3-8_22-25-4.png

7. Manfredo

Manfredo New
    Builder

Downloaded and installed, can confirm it now works! Thanks!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  8. Chris Haskins

Builder

@Peter Van Der Walt Do you all perhaps have a readme or a git page with the full list of echo back commands in Openbuilds fork of grblHAL?
    Still wrapping my head around this new firmware, but i looks like for example a
    "$i - This command is used to set the arc tolerance. "
    But in OB it would return a information data like ip address ect.

Thanks

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Source/Reference?
    $I = Build Info: See Grbl v1.1 Commands
    Arc Tolerance is $12=0.002 (DON'T CHANGE THE DEFAULT VALUE!)

We don't have a Fork, we are merged into grblHAL OpenBuilds BlackBox X32 Pinmap by petervanderwalt · Pull Request #47 · grblHAL/ESP32 and available in the Web Builder too: http://svn.io-engineering.com:8080/?driver=ESP32&board=BlackBox X32
    As for documentation, basically, reading the grbl Wiki and the grblHAL Wiki (some of the basics aren't redocumented unless different) should answer most questions

Chris Haskins likes this.
  10. Hofy

Hofy New
    Builder

How do I turn off the auto update for Control? It keeps trying to download and install while I am running. The new version is not compatible with Windows7 so it does no good to keep downloading and installing.

11. Peter Van Der Walt

12. Hofy

Hofy New
    Builder

Why would I give up a stable OS (7) to "upgrade" to a buggy OS (10)? 11 is not an option as the computer is not a new one.

13. Peter Van Der Walt

14. Hofy

Hofy New
    Builder

The only reason 10 has more users is because it is shipped with new systems. As for most stable OS that MS has ever produced it would be Windows 2000.

15. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

Peter, you know the metaphoric saying "you can lead a horse to the water but you can't make him drink"?

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  16. Steve Caldwell

Builder

Got a problem with entry point to the kernel32 and new updates pushed out don't work?

17. Peter Van Der Walt

Please update to Windows 10 or 11. That error indicates you are on an outdated OS (7/8/8.1): Farewell, Windows 7/8/8.1 | Electron and also Microsoft Windows

18. Steve Caldwell

Builder

Hey thanks for the information it was helpful. This leads to several issues and problems on my end though. If I try to load older software the program will update automatically and I'm right back to where I started, call it a computer paradoxical loop of sorts. I got the PC from a theater that was throwing away PC/Monitors that were being used for advertising of wine and beer sales. It's a small and compact Dell and has, until now, worked great and with no issues. The minuate I put a Wifi dongle on it to update windows 7 to get rid of the anoying windows needs to update pop up, it also updates the openbuilds black box controller too and where this newest adventure began. I'm not really sure if I can update this system to Windows 10 to fix this issue. It almost makes more sense to pull the dongle and load older software, that worked. Looking for some help and advise on this one.
    Reguards,
    Steve Caldwell

19. Peter Van Der Walt

Windows 7 and Windows 10 runs on similar specs. Unfortunately Windows 7 has been retired for a while, and Windows 10 has been out for 7 years now. At some point the greater good requires us to drop outdated setups - we use Electron, and in Electron 23 (that we use) they dropped support for Windows 7/8/8.1 (rightfully so, those are out-of-support). We don't really have to justify our need to keep up either - see the aforementioned links, and do realise, you are running an outdated OS on old hardware, and that has always had with the risk that at some point you would run into issues.

Older versions of software means you are missing out on bugfixes and features - might surprise you - but updates are for YOUR benefit (; not ours (;
    In the same way that older OS's gets retired, not because they still work fine, but exactly because they cause problems.

If your Windows 10 update process fails, try a clean install: Install Windows from a USB Flash Drive

20. dawhite

dawhite New
    Builder

Oh peter, we're having trouble getting the deb version on the rasberry pi4 to run control past 329... My brother the unix guru states the following. Any suggestions?

The versions of OpenBuilds-CONTROL on github are for Mac, Windows, and amd64 Linux. The latest version that builds out of the box on rpi4 armv7 is version 324 (or at least the latest version I've been able to build), this is due to OpenBuilds-CONTROL using electron and the fragility of nodejs (despite the language portability hype!). Using the 324 build of electron, you can run later versions of OpenBuilds-CONTROL like 329 that is currently installed on rpi4cam.

21. Peter Van Der Walt

Rpi is not an (officially) supported platform.
    Only x86/64 Windows10/11, x86/64 Linux and MacOSX

22. dawhite

dawhite New
    Builder

ok no worries just saw in posts from you about it working on pi, Admittedly from 2016, but hey I wouldn't have tried otherwise.

23. Peter Van Der Walt

It used to work a while back (2021ish)but at the moment it does not. The main thing is it was never an Official platform. Community driven, self support for people with good linux skills only. No tech support provided sort of thing.

24. dawhite

dawhite New
    Builder

No worries, we'll worry at it for a while, meantime i'll try to repurpose a box for win10lite

25. Gerrit Hendrikse

Builder

My surface wizzard not working after newest sofware upgrade

26. Peter Van Der Walt

27. Gerrit Hendrikse

Builder

Hi,thanks for the quick response.
    On my laptop I was requested to do a software upgrade for openbuilds. I clicked yes and let it do its thing. After the upgrade was complete , continued with my job. The first thing I done is clicked on wizzards and selected surfacing.and there it got stuck.nothing else wanted to close or respond. Then i shut the pc down and tried again. Again when i clicked on the wizard, it done the same. Then I uninstalled openbuilds and re installed it again. Same thing happened.
    I am running windiws 11 on a i5. Evering else i have used is working.

28. Peter Van Der Walt

If it doesn't open when clicking menu item it an oldie (not related to new update, rather old bug people have been unable to provide the debug info for) see Control 1.0.350 Wizard & Tools crash and please do copy / paste your key Before you delete is (see the red text in the linked post)

29. TheWeps

TheWeps New
    Builder

Hi,

I switched from bCNC to OpenBuild CONTROL. In bCNC I could set the true position of my cnc-head with the button "WPOS".

I have this simple thing to cnc:

[​IMG]

How can I set it to 'zero'?

Attached Files:

30. Peter Van Der Walt

Origins are set in your CAM.
    Then in CONTROL you SetZero or Probe to tell the machine where the same origin that you used in CAM, is in the real world.

See docs.openbuilds.com > Software section > Hello world example