Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds CONTROL Software

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Mark Carew, Oct 8, 2018.

1. SeanD

SeanD Well-Known
    Builder

Also have replaced USB cable with 5 others, 4 of which are fully shielded and have worked before.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Try a different PC as another test step

Also possible your controller has picked up damage (its been in use a while - check wiring for loose terminals or chaffed through cables that could have caused short circuits etc)

3. SeanD

SeanD Well-Known
    Builder

Th
    Thanks mate, always appreciate your help. I will pull the whole thing apart including motors limits and vfd over the weekend. Might need to order a new Blackbox. I have 100% gotten more than expected use out of this lil guy :)

Giarc and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  4. Rogue_One

Rogue_One New
    Builder

hi,
    Peter Van Der Walt

i have question? My stepper motor wire's get hot all three of them, when running a job for three hours. is that normal or a problem?
    The DM542A stepper Drive are set to 2.83 Peak / 2.03 RMS on the dip switch., i guess 2.84A. The stepper motor's are 3.0A 1.8 425oz., My power system [email protected]

other people toll me change the 24v to 36v or 48v, they said the DM542A drive can do 36v to 48v mush better. is that true?

best regard

5. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I have those drivers on one of my machines and I use a 36V power supply. I have never noticed anything getting hot. However, the motors I have are 2.8 amp and I have my dip switches at 2.37 Amps peak.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Yeah dial the current down a bit

7. Rogue_One

Rogue_One New
    Builder

current set at 2.83 Peak / 2.03 RMS

setting down to 2.37 Peak/ 1.69 RMS

i'll tested today, So 24v is good? or change to 36v

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  8. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

I'm digging the new grbl settings layout. It makes it easier even for me who has years of experience.

9. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

how about thicker wires that can carry the current without getting hot?

Giarc likes this.
  10. Rogue_One

Rogue_One New
    Builder

im using the same wire type that come out the stepper motor.

The wire's that are getting hot are A+, on all three stepper motor, Also i change the dip switch's to 2.37 Peak/ 1.69 RMS. the stepper stay warm, not hot like before.
    But A+ wiring's are still a little hot. I'm to hard wire direct with solder to see if help.

Attached Files:

11. SeanD

SeanD Well-Known
    Builder

Different PC with the Blackbox just connected to PC and different cables all saw the USB but couldn’t connect. Probable done somewhere between 3500-4000 hours on this unit and I consider that an epic run so I ordered a new one priority post to Australia.

12. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

those D-shell connectors are not really rated for Amps of current so I am not surprised if it gets hot at ~3A

'same wire type' is an illusion when it comes to making the wires longer (-:
    it needs to be a thicker wire the longer it is to ensure that the losses in the wire are minimized so the voltage and current you need actually arrives at the motor. If the wires are getting hot they are too thin.

if only 1 pair of wires is getting hot then I think that means that the drivers are mostly stopping with that pair turned on, which is weird and probably indicates a fault or some setup thing we don't understand yet.

What are you microstepping settings?

is SW4 on or off?
    on means full current is always applied
    off means the driver goes to half current after not receiving a step pulse for 500ms.
    I would use this on X and Y but not on Z

13. Rogue_One

Rogue_One New
    Builder

thanks,
    D-shell DP15 they're rated for 0.024amp. Hard wire direct proble resolved.

I ran in to problem with the openbuilds software..
    i was making a dust plate in Cerveco pro maker. the spindle is 72.01mm / and vacuum hose is 29.98mm. the two LED lights 12.5mm
    so made the plate and send g-code openbuilds software. when it started to cut the first hole 72.01mm i pause the job and measure the first hole.
    i got 69.98mm instead of 72mm. had to re-calculate inorder to get 72mm exactly.

follow me for a second.
    i had change 72.01mm to 93.1mm and run the g-cde again. this time i got 72.01mm exactly on point.
    which it didn't make any sense to me.
    So to make the plate i used {Area Clearance tool}. and end mill 6mm.

see picture for my setting with Area clearance tool.

And also has anyone had a problem openbuilds software crashing in the middle of job, in macOS and Windows.?

Best regard

Attached Files:

#2053 Rogue_One, May 10, 2022
    Last edited: May 10, 2022
  14. Peter Van Der Walt

Only if the PC you are running on is old/slow - or if you forgot to setup Windows's power settings as described in section 4.2 of the BlackBox Documentation

Did you change the size in CAD? Rather - calibrate your machine using the Wizards and Tools menu > Calibration. Of course, depends on your definition of "crash" - what exactly happens, log entry screenshots etc

15. Rogue_One

Rogue_One New
    Builder

No i didn't change size in CAD, Project is 4 holes 72.1mm , 29.98mm ,12.5mm x2 Material Acrylic fiberglass, Thickness 13mm

I use the Wizards and Tools menu > Calibration the machine. And even before calibration of the machine, I ran the same project and got the same results.
    other project lake 2D and 3D carving ran perfect no problem. Only when cutting out hole.

The software just freeze why still running the job, i had to reboot the system