Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds CONTROL Software

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Mark Carew, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

OpenBuilds CONTROL 1.0.295 is getting released today, and it, along with its earlier versions the last couple weeks, contain a bunch of cool new features! Find some of the major highlights below:

1) 3D Viewer now supports on the fly switching between Inch/mm Mode
    Before, only the Gcode you loaded could switch the viewer. Now, the Viewer switches between mm/inch along with the DRO when you click the mm-mode/inch-mode tabs above the DRO.

upload_2021-3-22_21-57-31.png
    _______________________________________________________________________________
    2) Ability to both Go To, and Set coordinates by typing into the DRO:
    Click on the X,Y or Z digital read-out, and enter a new number. If you press [enter] the machine will jog to that position. If you press [shift+enter] the current position where the machine is, is set to the number entered. Useful for fixing Z zero or dialing in offsets for duplicating a workpiece and many other uses

upload_2021-3-22_21-58-31.png
    3) Jog Speed Slider:
    Gone are the days of typing in a Jog speed, when Grbl anyway overruled you most of the time based on its Max-rate configuration. The number input field has now been replaced with an easy to use and easy to understand slider! This solves a couple different issues

• Allows Z to jog at a different rate than XY: In your Grbl Settings, Z Max Rate can be (and usually is) set lower. This now jogs at a "percentage" of the Grbl Max Rate - so effectively each axis speed is governed by its Max Rate value
    • It is consistent with OpenBuilds Interface - we implemented the Percentage method there and had great feedback from beginners and pros alike as its easier to grasp and use.
    • It is more accurate - because it knows what your Grbl settings dictate the maximum feedrate can be. Before you may have entered 5000mm/min, but Grbl has X Max travel set to 2500. You think you are jogging at 5000mm/min, but Grbl was governing the top speed to 2500 anyway. As its a percentage of the configured parameter, 50% really is 50% of the maximum configured for that axis.

upload_2021-3-22_22-0-34.png
    4) MacOS Big Sur support: Fully Signed and Notarized
    Mac users can now install CONTROL easier than before, because the application and installer is now Signed and Notarized with proper Apple Certificates. No longer do you need to go and allow the application from Settings>Security - MacOS will only prompt you once whether you want to allow the application to open the first time you run it.

upload_2021-3-22_22-6-4.png
    5) Duplicate Key Checking for Keyboard shortcuts
    CONTROL now checks if the key you are trying to assign as a Keyboard Shortcut or Macro shortcut is already in use :

upload_2021-3-22_22-8-59.png

and also in Macros editor:

upload_2021-3-22_22-9-53.png
    6) Actual Feedrate in Overrides

This little readout below the Feed Override Slider displays the current maximum actual feedrate the machine is moving it. This is a good number to note down if you use the Feed Override slider to tweak your cutting recipes, knowing how fast the machine is moving when the job is cutting at its best, will help you set up your toolpaths with better feedrates dialed in from the start.

upload_2021-3-22_22-12-33.png
    7) Ability to Backup and Restore your Grbl Settings

Allows you to export a copy of that meticulously tuned Grbl parameters for safe-keeping

upload_2021-3-22_22-24-57.png
    8) Javascript Macros, that can even start automatically.

Advanced tweaks, your own wizards, or clever macros that can do a little processing of their own. Your mind is the limit.

upload_2021-3-22_22-29-48.png
    9) Just a reminder how to switch between Inch and MM modes:
    Not new, but something many people haven't noticed yet: Click the Tabs to switch between Inch/mm mode for jogging. GCODE files have their Mode set by your CAM however and overrides whatever this view is set to, because the GCODE contains its own G20 (inch) or G21 (mm ) Modal commands. The 3D view will however attempt to show it at the correct scale.

upload_2021-3-22_22-17-35.png
    10) Review the FULL changelog!

The detailed Change Log at OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-CONTROL lists every little bugfix, new feature, and change made to CONTROL, so do keep an eye on it occationally :)

David the swarfer and sharmstr like this.
  2. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

When the job done dialog pops up one might expect that hitting space would dismiss the dialog. One would be wrong as that dialog just sits there looking at you while the job starts again.

3. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

Enter dismisses it. Space starts and pauses jobs unless you've changed that in Customize Keyboard Shortcuts in the Wizards menu.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

I know. But that is kind of at odds with how those things usually work. I would expect it to be modal and not just appear to be modal.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

For all the hate the Job Complete window gets, i guess its just time to remove it. Next version :)

#1775 Peter Van Der Walt, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  6. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

Can you print log it? Because I do find the information useful.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

For sure. (; and will store it for use with Macros, got an idea for an Invoicing macro

sharmstr likes this.
  8. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

I like the sound of that!

9. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

Can it be put in a permanent cell somewhere on the screen rather than a pop-up window?
    I will soon. I'm now deep in alligators doing another job and the machine sits ideal. I already go an email from it's lawyer complaining of neglect. :)

10. Peter Van Der Walt

So the "job complete" popup is gone, and the data is stored in Localstorage (for future Macro use)

upload_2021-3-25_18-2-51.png

but also added a simple log under Wizards and Tools > Job Log

upload_2021-3-25_17-59-58.png

sharmstr likes this.
  11. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

12. Flyinb

Flyinb New
    Builder

OK i downloaded and installed the control software no problem. when i start the program nothing shows up but task manager says it's running, am i missing something? Running it on a windows 7 desktop to check it out. Thanks, Bruce

13. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

it iconizes to the taskbar, just click the icon there to fullscreen it

14. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

I'm not sure which section this goes in other than it involves the latest update. Whenever I Home All, it goes through the standard routine of Raising the Z-Axis to the Home Switch and the same for the X-Axis. But when it Homes the Y-Axis and then moves to the Offset Distance after contacting the Y-Home Switch, it repeats the Y-Homing Sequence but disregards the Y-Home Switch and Jams up my Y-Axis. I am running a C-Beam XL with only a Single Y-Axis Drive.

15. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

Get out your multimeter and check your wires.

16. Peter Van Der Walt

Agreed, nearly impossible to be CONTROL related. Wiring most likely, or Grbl settings

17. Flyinb

Flyinb New
    Builder

No icon appears on taskbar but what does happen is when i start control a small popup appears on the right side of the task bar then goes away, it says "Open builds Control has started active on 10.0.0.4:3000) ? I go to task manager and says it running.

18. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

It happens regardless as to the GRBL Firmware that I am running, be ir OpenBuilds Controller or any of the others that are available. Be it SharpCNC, OpenBuilds, or plain Jane GRBL 1.1f.

19. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

If it were wiring it wouldn't recognize the original Y-Axis Home Switch.

20. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

21. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

I'm inclined to think now that the Offset after hitting the Home Switch isn't large enough. The Switches seem to need more than a 20 mm Offset after being triggered.

22. Peter Van Der Walt

What switches do you have?
    Could also just be noise on the signals, are you using filtering?

23. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

Here is a picture of my Home Switches,

Attached Files:

24. Peter Van Der Walt

Fair enough those are overkill and probably do need a massive pull-out distance

do include details like that when you ask about related problems :) would help avoid guesses based on assumptions of default components.

25. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

There is a tab on the taskbar for "hidden icons" - it's in there.
    Alex

26. Peter Van Der Walt

After a reboot, CONTROL sits waiting in the system tray. Launch it from either:
    • Desktop icon
    • Start menu
    • System tray icon
    • Integrations (OpenBuildsCAM, SketchuCam and (soon) Fabber)
    Once its running in the background, any of the above launches the UI

27. Flyinb

Flyinb New
    Builder

There are several icons visible on the right of the task bar but open builds is not on of them, i do have the control icon pinned to the task bar as well, when i hit it to open the app that little popup right above all the icons says "Open builds Control has started active on 10.0.0.4:3000", what ever that means. Not new to computers and did build a cnc plasma cutter years ago so not a real newbie but heck i am getting older.lol. There is no UI at all showing up. Do you know what that "active on 10.0.0.4:3000" is all about.

28. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

It should mean that it is running and listening on IP 10.0.0.4 port 3000. Bring up a browser and load http://10.0.0.4:3000/

29. Peter Van Der Walt

Which is just another way to access the UI. Dont use this as your primary way either..

If the UI doesnt come up, try a different PC

30. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

It's an easy method to confirm it is running.